This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you're not overclocking, is there any disadvantage going H87 over Z87?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If you're not overclocking, is there any disadvantage going H87 over Z87?
2 years ago#1
nt
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
2 years ago#2
You'll be fine with H87 if you're not overclocking. There's no need to get Z87.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
2 years ago#3
Depending on the motherboard, you may or may not get support for SLI, if that is not a concern for you then nope. No disadvantages.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
2 years ago#4
There's Z87 mobos without SLI support so that's not exactly a disadvantage.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
2 years ago#5
PhilOnDez posted...
There's Z87 mobos without SLI support so that's not exactly a disadvantage.

Is there an H87 motherboard that supports SLi???
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
2 years ago#6
None that I'm aware of, but I found this while looking. Not sure if it's just wrong or what:

H87 The H87 chipset is very similar to Z87, but lacks a few important features including CPU overclocking. While this chipset can easily handle SLI/Crossfire configurations by allowing the 16 PCI-E lanes from the CPU to be divided into either a single x16 slot or dual x8 slots, it does not support triple SLI/Crossfire configurations.

---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
2 years ago#7
PhilOnDez posted...
None that I'm aware of, but I found this while looking. Not sure if it's just wrong or what:

H87 The H87 chipset is very similar to Z87, but lacks a few important features including CPU overclocking. While this chipset can easily handle SLI/Crossfire configurations by allowing the 16 PCI-E lanes from the CPU to be divided into either a single x16 slot or dual x8 slots, it does not support triple SLI/Crossfire configurations.

Well, Z87 wouldn't have 3xSLi support natively either. It would need a PLX chip. I just wanted to point out that SLi is indeed an advantage of Z87, at the moment, as there are no H87 boards that support SLi. As far as I know, SLi costs money to license for use, so you probably won't find it on too many H87 boards in the future (edit: If at all. As far as I know, there haven't been any Hx7 chipset motherboards that have had SLi support).

Edit2: Also, they both could natively support 3xCrossfire, if they wanted to, as Haswell supports x8/x4/x4 and Crossfire doesn't have a x8 minimum like SLi. However, you most likely won't see 3xCrossfire without PLX.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
2 years ago#8
A Haswell at 3.9 boosted is comparably equal to a OC at 4.5.

The last best OC was the i5-2500, as the size of the chips became too small to properly keep cool.
---
'The Intel i7-3770 if you're rich, the i5 2500K, i53570 or i53570k if you're doing okay, the AMD A10-5800K or i3 if you're just about hanging in there.'
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If you're not overclocking, is there any disadvantage going H87 over Z87?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived