This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

TXAA vs. SSAA

#1ZeroRaiderPosted 8/24/2013 9:15:13 AM
So apparently TXAA is all the rage right now and it's what Nvidia is promoting.

Is this now the best form of AA in existence or is it still inferior to super-sampling?

I read about it and apparently it uses a modified form of MSAA? MSAA isn't as good as SSAA...

I guess I don't see the point of NVIDIA pimping this exclusive new AA form if it's not the best.
#2ThescyyPosted 8/24/2013 9:21:55 AM
SSAA is still the best looking but also the least efficient since it's just pure brute force aa.
---
| i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | SeaSonic M12II 850 | Fractal design R4 |
#3PathlessBulletPosted 8/24/2013 9:23:40 AM
I dunno bro. All I can tell you is that like 2 games support TXAA, it removes all noticeable jaggies, and has a negligible performance impact.

TXAA 4 life if was actually supported, but cuz TXAA not supported by most that mean no anti aliasing route 4 life bro.

Down with the anti aliasing! Waste of frames.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#4ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 9:34:20 AM
Only peasants can't run tons of AA.

I run SLI'd GTX 780s and in my Nvidia control panel I have it set to run all 3D programs with SLI 32xQ CSAA and SLI 16x supersampling by default.

I don't have to create specific application settings to lower AA in order to maintain 60 FPS often.
#5Panzer_SquidPosted 8/24/2013 9:39:41 AM
TXAA is about cost-effectiveness. It has very little impact on performance while offering some edge smoothing, albeit at the cost of some blurriness.
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#6ShebeskiiPosted 8/24/2013 10:30:19 AM
ZeroRaider posted...

I run SLI'd GTX 780s and in my Nvidia control panel I have it set to run all 3D programs with SLI 32xQ CSAA and SLI 16x supersampling by default.

I don't have to create specific application settings to lower AA in order to maintain 60 FPS often.

This is not a good idea. Many games are not compatible with MSAA and CSAA, but running it can cause visual artifacts and serious performance problems.

Do it on a game by game basis. What you're doing sucks.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#7brainlackPosted 8/24/2013 10:40:51 AM
Shebeskii posted...
ZeroRaider posted...

This is not a good idea. Many games are not compatible with MSAA and CSAA, but running it can cause visual artifacts and serious performance problems.

Do it on a game by game basis. What you're doing sucks.

I'm doing that and still haven't encountered 1 problem from my 690 but my 9800gt can still rock my sig
---
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc
#8g_lethalPosted 8/24/2013 10:46:59 AM
isnt ssaa the one that renders the image in a wicked high res first, then bumps it down to what you want?

i know it made sleeping dogs and remember me look awesome, but it also made my old 570s heat up like they were in a sauna
---
"Remember Me" is awesome
#9g_lethalPosted 8/24/2013 10:48:00 AM
isnt ssaa the one that renders the image in a wicked high res first, then bumps it down to what you want?

i know it made sleeping dogs and remember me look awesome, but it also made my old 570s heat up like they were in a sauna
---
"Remember Me" is awesome
#10RequiemPosted 8/24/2013 10:48:44 AM
Is TXAA propriety of Nvidia (like Physx), or is it open source?
If it's like Physx.... it may be awesome, but I don't know if many games will support it.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex