This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else dislike competitive games?

#21JhayCeePosted 8/24/2013 4:20:33 PM
As for me, the only competitive game I play are Fighting Games. It's fun especially if there's a community near your area. There's a lot of people in my area that hold casuals. What I like about it is that I get to meet people who have the same interest, share the intensity of being in a minor or major tourney, training for EVO, and at the end you chill with those peeps and have a drink. Looking back, it's not the game that makes me play competitively, but it's the nice people I meet and the desire to keep up with them that makes me competitive.
---
Religious Person: God loves us so much he gave us his only son.
Me: I know, man. I still can't believe Michael Jackson died.
#22RudyBeoulvePosted 8/24/2013 4:40:08 PM(edited)
I know exactly what the OP means. Before SCII came out I watched every freaking relevant beta video. I watched the beta tournaments, everything. Then the game came out and I kept watching matches while I waited for it to arrive in the mail (took 1 month because of mailing snafus), when I finally got the game, I went straight for the campaign, beat it ASAP so I could finally get to the multiplayer.

By this time I had watched many. Many Day9 videos, tournament commentary, state of the game, so I get in, choose protoss as my race, get placed in silver and start playing. And then I just couldn't. I would get way too nervous because I was too aware of what I was doing wrong, I had pre-match anxiety, I couldn't play more than 2-3 in a row... I easily got into gold league a short while after I started playing, but then I just stopped because I couldn't handle it.

It's weird, because it has never happened with any other game for me.
---
Superhero name: The Excretionist
Superpower: Your nipples excrete a highly explosive yet delicious substance.
#23_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/24/2013 5:51:58 PM
Nah, to be honest I LOVE competitive games, and it is almost all that I play nowadays. You should realize that a lot you seem to dislike about them comes more from you than from the game. The frustration of losing or when things are not going your way is not part of the game, and it is not something everyone experiences like that.

The best way to play games competitively and not succumb to stress, anger and frustration is to simply play with people that you know. You will find out that win or lose, playing competitive games with people that you know is always fun. I play CS:GO with a Counter Strike team that has been together for almost a decade. I queue with my Steam friends in DOTA2 (never alone) and play in a BF3 clan (though BF3 really does not belong in a list of competitive games)
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#24vanguard29Posted 8/24/2013 5:53:36 PM
Nicodimus posted...
I don't like multiplayer in general. I play games to get away from people, not deal with more of their B.S.

that, so so much.
---
"What is a heart? Can it be seen if I rip open this chest of yours? If I crush your skull? Will I find it there?" - Ulquiorra Schiffer.
#25NingishzidaPosted 8/24/2013 5:55:27 PM
prob is so many ppl cheat so if you can't beat em, join em.
#26Cool_Dude667Posted 8/24/2013 5:58:08 PM
Starcraft 2 is all you need
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#27ClouddxPosted 8/24/2013 5:59:40 PM
I love shooting people in the head, can't do it in real life... So might as well in a game.

Same thing goes for PvP in RPGs. I like to hack people apart with swords. Feels sooo good. =P
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#28x_aznpalPosted 8/24/2013 6:01:57 PM
i like cooperative games

no, not cooperative competitively like PVP but more like monster hunter co-op or something
---
"Failing to understand and failing to listen are rather different things." -Naoto Shirogane
#29NitharadPosted 8/24/2013 6:04:16 PM
Generally no, I just don't care for them or the competetive side of mixed games.
Really the only game I play "competitive" would be Pokemon via Online simulators, and even then I'm pretty casual about it.
Sure I know how it works and create my own Teams, but I'm not interested in climbing the ladder at all.

However, one thing that is really annoying is when things get changed and nerfed/buffed because there has to be this oh-so-important "balance" for the competetive players. I just HATE that.
Like some weapon or class that you really enjoy and love in your casual game suddenly gets nerfed and is pretty much useless now.

Of course competitive players can also be really annoying if they try to force their competitive playstyle onto others. We all know the "Final Destination - No items - no Metaknight" guy... or when you play TCGs and someone complains about "That card is not allowed in [insert tier-format here]!".

Really Pokemon is the best example on how to do it right imo, everyone can enjoy it, the casual gamers just play the game, the competitive players have online simulations and online-community that creates their own rules.
Just imagine if Pokemon would be completly changed and nerfed/buffed in each Generation... "Oh Mewtwo is too powerful, we have to decrease his abilities"

Stil all that being said I usually have no Problem with competitive play. In fact a game with a competetive fanbase must do something right.
#30GamersTavernPosted 8/24/2013 6:05:06 PM
I've never been the competitive type, so those sorts of games don't appeal to me.
---
Main Site: http://www.gamers-tavern.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GamersTavernShow