This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Crusader Kings 2 any good? Also should I get all DLC before playing?

#1Oakland510_Posted 8/24/2013 6:18:50 PM
Got Civilization 5 and all of its DLC about a month ago. It was above average for me but now I wanna play a new game and Crusader Kings 2 looks fun. Just curious is it any good and should I get all the DLC too before playing? Also any sales on this?
#2ygfbvPosted 8/24/2013 6:55:59 PM
yes
portrait packs+shield packs+ruler customizer+the old gods+the republic+legacy of rome+sword of islam

the music packs are meh
---
http://www.anime-planet.com/images/users/signatures/ygfbv.jpg
#3lionheart5656Posted 8/24/2013 6:57:26 PM
Not worth the extreme learning curve.

I bought it on sale for almost nothing and I still don't think it was worth it.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#4Damaged7Posted 8/24/2013 9:23:42 PM
Pretty awesome game if you get past the learning curve. Also pretty fun to play with buddies over LAN.
---
Bold Text
#5Mudkip57Posted 8/25/2013 1:00:20 AM(edited)
It has a high learning curve, but once you get past it everything will click and and the game becomes straightforward. Not easy, mind you, but still straightforward
#6TowerBooks3192Posted 8/25/2013 1:33:00 AM(edited)
Easiest Paradox game to get in to. Great game! They had tons of sale including all the DLCs prior to Old Gods before EUIV was released. Sword of Islam (required to play muslims), Legacy of Rome (improved Byzantium and Standing armies), The republic (merchant republic mechanics), and Old Gods (vikings and pagan religions plus 867 start) are top priorities for DLCs.

The spritepacks, portrait packs, music packs, dynasty shields are there to add to the immersion of the game but it depends if you want them ASAP or not.

Sunset invasion only gives you a threat to deal with in the west other than the mongols in the east (Aztecs invading europe) and some secret stuff when exporting a game with sunset invasion on to EUIV

Ruler Creator and Customizer are there to let you edit your starting ruler and edit things in game like Dynasty name. coat of arms, etc.

Best part is the converter of save games to EUIV to continue your progress.

Game is worth it and easy to learn but hard to master and more roleplay opportunities than lets say EUIV or other paradox games.

Edit: Any questions on paradox games and specifically CK2 and EUIV, please feel free to ask me as I am trying to convert people to play those games. My cousin loved it when I referred it to him.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#7jessica73Posted 8/25/2013 2:26:53 AM
I wouldn't get all the fluff packs like the character creator/portrait/music packs unless they're on sale, but definitely get them
As for the main stuff, all of them are nice to have, but I especially like the Old Gods and the Legacy of Rome dlc

CK2 seems to be the easiest grand strategy game from paradox for me, but it does take time to really start getting the hang of it; I'd start off in ireland and work on unifying it.

As for mods, Game of Thrones and Elder Kings are both great ^_^
---
In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb
#8codyorrPosted 8/25/2013 7:09:04 AM
Skip the fluff DLCs. Just get the important ones once they go 75% off. Paradox puts them at 75% off every few months. It's a great game but don't let them microtansaction you to death.
#9TowerBooks3192Posted 8/25/2013 7:17:27 AM
codyorr posted...
Skip the fluff DLCs. Just get the important ones once they go 75% off. Paradox puts them at 75% off every few months. It's a great game but don't let them microtansaction you to death.

I don't approve their DLC policies but I reckon it is wrong to call them microtransactions. They basically separated what could have been a big DLC to separate DLCs like Old Gods (the mechanics). Hymn to the old gods (music), Norse Portrait and Norse Unit Pack (for the Arts).

Yeah just get Sword of Islam, The republic, The Legacy of Rome and The Old Gods if you want all the mechanics unlocked.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower