This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

List some strategy games that are both complex but intuitive

#11TowerBooks3192Posted 8/25/2013 10:39:29 AM
gsf4lyfe posted...
TowerBooks3192 posted...
Crusader Kings 2

Intuitive?

Yup! in fact its even the easiest and most straightforward paradox game ever. You could not avoid that there will be some number crunching involved if you really want to get to the bottom of things even in games as simple as Civ V. That game is pretty much straightforward for a paradox title.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#12YombieePosted 8/25/2013 12:00:30 PM
Homeworld
Alpha Centauri
Jagged Alliance 2
Lords of the realm
Settlers
Masters Of Orion
#13gsf4lyfePosted 8/25/2013 12:44:44 PM
TowerBooks3192 posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
TowerBooks3192 posted...
Crusader Kings 2

Intuitive?

Yup! in fact its even the easiest and most straightforward paradox game ever. You could not avoid that there will be some number crunching involved if you really want to get to the bottom of things even in games as simple as Civ V. That game is pretty much straightforward for a paradox title.

Huh, I'm gonna have to give it a more earnest attempt. I bought it during the steam sale, played through about 20 minutes of tutorials and decided it was too much of a time investment at that point when I had purchased a million other games as well.
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#14TowerBooks3192Posted 8/25/2013 1:59:35 PM
gsf4lyfe posted...
TowerBooks3192 posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
TowerBooks3192 posted...
Crusader Kings 2

Intuitive?

Huh, I'm gonna have to give it a more earnest attempt. I bought it during the steam sale, played through about 20 minutes of tutorials and decided it was too much of a time investment at that point when I had purchased a million other games as well.

One does not simply learn a paradox game in 20 minutes. Its hard because it is worth something. It is really rewarding once you really get to play it and see its true beauty. If you have any questions just PM me and maybe I can help you. Also registering at the Paradox Forum would help a lot since you get to access their FAQs and there are a lot of helpful people in their forums.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#15TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 9:36:31 AM
I think I'm tempted to skip over Civilization and graduate straight to Paradox games. I thought about it and one of the things that bugs me about Civ when I try to play it is the random map generation (I know there's a mod to correct that, but still)
I wanna play this as an accurate historical roleplay, complete with the geography and all, and Civ doesn't really let you do that. Might be a shock for a newbie to go straight into Europa Universalis or Crusaders Kings, but I wanna try.
#16AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/26/2013 9:42:22 AM
What about Expeditions: Conquistador? Anyone here like that game?
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
~
#17snesmaster40Posted 8/26/2013 10:06:08 AM
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
I think I'm tempted to skip over Civilization and graduate straight to Paradox games. I thought about it and one of the things that bugs me about Civ when I try to play it is the random map generation (I know there's a mod to correct that, but still)
I wanna play this as an accurate historical roleplay, complete with the geography and all, and Civ doesn't really let you do that. Might be a shock for a newbie to go straight into Europa Universalis or Crusaders Kings, but I wanna try.

Europa Universalis IV has a demo on Steam. I highly recommend that game as I'm really enjoying it and finding it easier than Europa Universalis 3. The tutorials explain everything really easily and then the rest is just experience through trial and error. There's also lots of useful information too.
---
Are we not men?
#18BrutaI_DeluxePosted 8/26/2013 10:21:54 AM(edited)
I'm not too sure about Civ 5 but I believe there are several maps for Civ 4 that are "realistic". It's not as realistic as EU3, for example. But they're enjoyable.

Word of caution: If you do get EU3, get the Chronicles edition. The complete edition just has two expansion packs but the Chronicles has all four and yes, they are practically a necessity to play.

Also if you get Crusader Kings 2, you do not need any of the DLC. It allows you to play different styles. For example, you can play a Viking instead of a Christian but the base game is fine.
#19KillerTrufflePosted 8/26/2013 10:51:27 AM
Conquest: Frontier Wars

It takes the traditional 3-faction RTS, and adds some complexity to it that isn't in StarCraft. You have to worry about supply for all ships - ships don't carry unlimited ammo, and need to be resupplied. This can be done via supply ships accompanying the fleet, or by docking at supply depots. Supply ships can also make supply runs between depots and the fleet(s) on the front lines.

Along with the supply aspect, you are also playing across multiple sector maps in the system - up to 16 individual maps, each being a full-size RTS map. You play on all of these concurrently, and battles can happen in any of them at any time - sometimes simultaneously. Expanding to the other systems means you have to have a supply chain established, which means securing wormholes between sectors with jump gates. Every building in every sector must be connected to a sector with an HQ by jump gates, or must have an HQ in that sector. If you expand out too far, and an enemy manages to get in behind and take out one of your early jump gates, supply to all linked sectors after that gate can be cut off, which means all buildings stop working. Protecting your supply line both for your structures and ships is a key gameplay element.

Managing all these different sectors is actually very well done, and MUCH easier than it sounds. It really does fall under the idea of complexity made easy.

You also have a fleet element to expand unit control. Each ship type has a special ability it can use - missile ships can fire a sudden heavy barrage, for instance. When you group ships together and want to use a certain ability, you have to first select a ship from that type, then trigger the ability. Not the most manageable. To solve this, the game uses admirals. You can train up to 6 admirals, each with a set of unique bonuses they give to ships in their fleet (i.e. one admiral might really boost effectiveness of carriers, another might boost speed for a "hit and run" type fleet, another might give a big boost to heavy battleships, etc.). Once an admiral is trained, you have them take over one of the ships in your fleet (typically a hard-to-kill ship like a dreadnaught). Once an admiral is part of your command group and forms a true fleet, all special abilities for all ships in the fleet are available at one touch when the entire group is selected, making combat management much easier.

There really is a lot to the game, and it was sadly overlooked by most of the gaming community. I think it came out around 2000 or so. It's an excellent RTS that got just about everything right. Good balance, notable differences between the various factions (Terrans are well-rounded, Mantis are heavy on carriers and fighting from a distance, and Celareon are strong, fast, but close-range), and did a lot of new things other RTS hadn't done before, and some things that haven't been done as well since.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#20easymodexzPosted 8/26/2013 11:10:42 AM(edited)
Yombiee posted...
Masters Of Orion

^^

Master of Orion and Master of Orion 2.

Not 3. Don'tplay3.

Edit:

I also liked Pax Imperia.