This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

List some strategy games that are both complex but intuitive

#31Cool_Dude667Posted 8/27/2013 3:39:18 PM
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Xcom:EU

He said he didn't want it dumbed down just because it's new

XCOM:EU isn't dumbed down, it's just no longer purposefully frustrating.

I've read a few things about the old XCOM and yeah, I don't think I have any intention to play that. Seems that a lot of what made the old XCOM hard was unintentional glitches and poorly implemented features.

Anyhow, another question about Paradox games: EUIV and Crusader Kings II seem like obvious choices. Complex but intuitive menus. What about Victoria and Hearts of Iron? Hearts of Iron in particular REALLY appeals to me conceptually but I hear it's easily one of the more obtuse Paradox games. Should I wait for the eventual Hearts of Iron IV which might hopefully be easier to grasp, a la what they did to EUIV?

XCOM:EU is an absolute must play when it comes to turn-based strategy combat games though. Honestly, it doesn't have much competition, especially considering that the Fire Emblem games will never see a non-Nintendo platform release, but even still it's an almost perfect game.

I'd also recommend trying out a Total War game. They're primarily turn-based grand strategy games, but you can take direct, real-time control over your armies in combat. If you've ever thought that the biggest problem with RTS games is that your keystrokes per second was too big of a deal, then give a Total War game a shot. I'd personally recommend Fall of the Samurai, which does not require the base game Total War: Shogun II. However, Medieval is also a good choice, and it probably has the most and best mods, if that's something you'd be interested in.

Perfect game?

Thats going abit far, I would give it a 8/10 though, I have 65 hours in it currently. Theres a few decent mods out there if you look hard enough.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#32Sergei_DukanovPosted 8/27/2013 3:55:50 PM
c&c generals and the zero hour expansion. It is so MUCH FUN, so many mods! Sins is great, C&C 3 and Kane's wrath is great, sup com is pretty cool as well. Cant speak for civ since I never played one, but my friend loves them. Coh is good, specially if you can play with friends!
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356 my pc:pcpartpicker.com/p/1wSB1
#33uhohjonahPosted 8/27/2013 4:23:03 PM
Catan
---
Not changing this sig until Monster Hunter 4 comes out in US
#34Last Grand MageX2Posted 8/27/2013 4:54:02 PM
Cool_Dude667 posted...

Perfect game?

Thats going abit far, I would give it a 8/10 though, I have 65 hours in it currently. Theres a few decent mods out there if you look hard enough.

I didn't say it's perfect, I said almost perfect. There are a few minor flaws but almost none of them are in the actual core gameplay. It also gets a big leg up on the competition because, well, like I said before, there really aren't many games with turn based squad battle mechanics, and even fewer on the PC.

Oh and Nexus has XCOM mods now, the long war one which adds 4 new classes and more perks is pretty cool.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#35TimePharaohPosted 8/27/2013 5:08:42 PM
TastyKittyMMMM posted...

I've read a few things about the old XCOM and yeah, I don't think I have any intention to play that. Seems that a lot of what made the old XCOM hard was unintentional glitches and poorly implemented features.

Oh, so what you're saying is you've never actually played them, so anything you may think is entirely irrelevant? K. What, not pretty looking enough for you to play them? EU was designed with consoles in mind, and modern design (eg. dumb it down for the scrubs).

I didn't say it's perfect, I said almost perfect. There are a few minor flaws but almost none of them are in the actual core gameplay. It also gets a big leg up on the competition because, well, like I said before, there really aren't many games with turn based squad battle mechanics, and even fewer on the PC..

Yes none other than the three other superior games in its own series.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#36KillerTrufflePosted 8/27/2013 5:09:54 PM
Seriously? No love for Conquest: Frontier Wars? :(
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#37Cool_Dude667Posted 8/27/2013 5:30:04 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Seriously? No love for Conquest: Frontier Wars? :(

How does it hold up today?
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#38TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 5:32:39 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
TastyKittyMMMM posted...

Oh, so what you're saying is you've never actually played them, so anything you may think is entirely irrelevant? K. What, not pretty looking enough for you to play them? EU was designed with consoles in mind, and modern design (eg. dumb it down for the scrubs).

I didn't say it's perfect, I said almost perfect. There are a few minor flaws but almost none of them are in the actual core gameplay. It also gets a big leg up on the competition because, well, like I said before, there really aren't many games with turn based squad battle mechanics, and even fewer on the PC..

Yes none other than the three other superior games in its own series.

lol you're such an elitist