This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What usually causes a massive drop down in internet speed?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What usually causes a massive drop down in internet speed?

User Info: m0986-8

m0986-8
3 years ago#1
I pay for around 50mb/s and get around that... however every now and then (quite often) it drops to like 2mb/s from what speed test tells me. I am using a wired connection and monitoring my connected devices right now so no one is stealing my internet. What usually causes this? Is it my end or the provider?
Black 2 FC: 1593-5449-4573 (I am well aware the 3DS is region locked)
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM

User Info: gwwak

gwwak
3 years ago#2
Comcast and political bickering.

Get a VPN or another provider.
Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...

m0986-8
3 years ago#3
I use Cox as my provider as they are the only provider for my apartment that is not DSL

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#4
Back before the infrastructure got upgraded if anyone at all in the neighborhood was running a torrent Internet sucked for everyone else. The Internet was basically unusable at night.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

m0986-8
3 years ago#5
So there is nothing that can be done?

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#6
Calling an complaining might get you somewhere, you never know.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

m0986-8
3 years ago#7
I have. They came out and replaced the cable that goes through the wall to the outside... does weather affect internet in any way? I know it sounds dumb but it usually happens during the rain

User Info: Th1rte3n

Th1rte3n
3 years ago#8
Quote:I have. They came out and replaced the cable that goes through the wall to the outside... does weather affect internet in any way? I know it sounds dumb but it usually happens during the rain
@m0986-8

No, weather should have no effect unless you have a satellite connection.
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11

m0986-8
3 years ago#9
Clouddx posted...
Quote:I have. They came out and replaced the cable that goes through the wall to the outside... does weather affect internet in any way? I know it sounds dumb but it usually happens during the rain
@m0986-8

No, weather should have no effect unless you have a satellite connection.

Nope. cable.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 years ago#10
I have. They came out and replaced the cable that goes through the wall to the outside... does weather affect internet in any way? I know it sounds dumb but it usually happens during the rain

Actually I used to have that same problem (rain causing internet speeds to go bad) and it was caused by a faulty connection to the cable outside. Whenever I mentioned this to the support guys they figured it out pretty quickly. If you're complaining about cable internet speeds going bad when it's rainy a simple google search would have shown this can happen.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,27918385?hilite=rain

This thread gives some very useful info on how (and where) to complain if you can't get it resolved with a few simple calls. I guess in my case I was lucky since this guy has the same ISP (in the same area even) that I do and he had trouble getting them to fix the issue...
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What usually causes a massive drop down in internet speed?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived