This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why such a discrepancy between user reviews and media reviews for "Gone Home"?

#1shooterfan22Posted 8/24/2013 9:59:58 PM
topic
#2Lemur_HPosted 8/24/2013 10:01:38 PM
Price and attention span.
#3PhilOnDezPosted 8/24/2013 10:07:38 PM
This might come off as bad on my part but a reviewer has their name on the line and saying the game isn't very good will more than likely result in accusations of homophobia which could very easily lead to a blacklisting. The average consumer isn't worried about that though so they can just say what they feel and not worry about it.

I haven't actually played it so I can't comment on its quality, it sounds like it should have been $10 tops though, I think if it had just been cheaper there wouldn't have been nearly as many negative reviews.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4SlaynPosted 8/25/2013 5:38:32 AM
How anyone could give a 90m game where you walk around in a house doing nothing a good review... I don't know.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#5FeatherwindPosted 8/25/2013 6:18:35 AM(edited)
In the other thread there were concerns of it exploiting the current attitudes towards the LGBT thing.

Also...

AdamantRock posted...
Two words: Oscar bait. The subject matter was all most reviewers needed to award it a perfect score. Never mind how short it is or how non-interactive. Some people bash Naughty Dog games and Heavy Rain as barely interactive movies, but that appellation has never been so applicable as with this thing.

I don't know what exactly is Oscar bait but the explanation on TvTropes could indeed fit this game to some extent.

Many players felt like the story was there to further some outside agenda. I haven't played it so I can't really judge however.
#6ShadowThaReaperPosted 8/25/2013 6:19:10 AM
It's a 2 hour story with literally no gameplay. And it panders to the LGBT crowd.

Every critic feels like they have to praise it, because it makes them look intellectual.
#7shooterfan22(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 1:35:01 AM
Just played it. It's pretty good... but not a 9/10.
#8Sk0rbutPosted 8/26/2013 3:02:05 AM
Critics play a lot more games than the average consumer so they are more inclined to like stuff that differs from everything else. Also: pandering to the LGBT community? What is this, the Fox News board?
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#9shooterfan22(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 2:14:42 PM
Sk0rbut posted...
Critics play a lot more games than the average consumer so they are more inclined to like stuff that differs from everything else. Also: pandering to the LGBT community? What is this, the Fox News board?

Tell me about it.

How about pandering to people in favor of progressive equality and acceptance.
#10AlleRacingPosted 8/26/2013 4:03:54 PM
Reviewing something highly just for a group to feel accepted is pretty invalid. The sentiment may be nice and thoughtful, but it should have no bearing on a professional review. The game should be reviewed on its merit, not the number of contemporary social issues it addresses.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg