This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How often do you make new save files?

#1Marioface5Posted 8/24/2013 11:05:50 PM
I only ever make new save files when I'm making a new character or starting a new playthrough. Otherwise I just overwrite an existing one. It seems like most people don't do that though, so I'm starting to think it might be a bad habit that should be broken. How often do you make new save files? If you make a lot of them, why? When do you decide to make a new one instead of overwriting an old one, if you do both?
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#2MaximoomPosted 8/24/2013 11:14:55 PM
Usually i stick to a a single save. But games known to have game breaking bugs, like bethesda ones, I make multiple saves.

If the game dont have some sort of replayable missions i make saves whenever a new region unlocks.
Like old GTA games, i made saves when a new island/area unlocks.
#3R i c kPosted 8/24/2013 11:16:21 PM
It highly depends on the game I'm playing... If it's a linear progression game then I'll usually overwrite until the end of the game, assuming there's not a point-of-no-return that I might want to go back to. If it's a branching game I might save at every branch if it's one of those games that only has a few strongly defined branches. If it's one where the branches are very subtle, like where it asks you 50 questions over the course of the game and then adds up the flags/points to determine your branch, then I'll usually just play it like a linear progression and use a FAQ on subsequent playthroughs rather than waste time saving at every choice. If it's something very long with a lot to do like an RPG or a GTA-like game then I'll make a new save every once in awhile, just in case. Usually after advancing every major plot point or after a point-of-no-return... It depends.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#4TimePharaohPosted 8/24/2013 11:16:41 PM
Every save I make it is a new one because I'm not some dirty peasant that has to worry about space or some other nonsense.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#5AskeladdPosted 8/24/2013 11:17:02 PM
If it is a Bethesda game I never overwrite files. You might not realize until an hour after it happened that you have triggered a really bad bug. I will go through and delete some every now and again, but never overwrite.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#6cody4783Posted 8/24/2013 11:25:18 PM
Depends on the game. Most of the time I use 3-5 save files and just cycle them through as the time comes for a manual save.

Other times, if I think I *might* be at a "Point of no Return", or potential branching segment in a game, I'll try and remember to make a separate save there.

For the most part though, I just keep to a small handful of backups, and let Autosaves do most the leg work, if it's available/reliable.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#7TrelgaPosted 8/24/2013 11:26:11 PM
Something like Saints Row 3, or Sleeping Dogs, or even Tomb Raider. (Just using the most recent SP games i've completed.) I just overright. Unless there is one mission i truly enjoy and know i'll want to do again, I leave that save.

Something like fallout, elder scrolls, i usually make a new save, keep up to ten then delete them as they aren't needed.
---
i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz | H100 | Z77 Sabertooth | GTX 670 AMP! | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | 4GB Storage | HX650 | 650D
#8arleasPosted 8/24/2013 11:32:19 PM
Normal game: Make one save and overwrite it with newer ones.

Games where one wrong choice can ruin a game: Make multiple saves and only overwrite if there's a limit to save slots for some stupid reason (bad console port) or if drive space is an issue.

Bethesda/Bug ridden game: Save every 5 minutes and only overwrite if I'm sure there's no need to worry.

Bethesda/Bug Ridden game with mods: You can't have too many save files...especially when you find out a mod totally breaks the game and you have to go back to a save file without the mod.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif