This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Next gen console graphics already can't compare to PC

#1wuphillyPosted 8/25/2013 8:15:04 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/gamescom-battlefield-4s-graphics-lacking-on-ps4

I remember when Oblivion came out, you needed a top of the line PC to run it. Apparently the new consoles already can't compete with PC in terms of graphics. We've been held back graphically for a while now because of the aging console hardware, so if they're already this far behind we might be stagnant for a while :-\
#2godplaysSNESPosted 8/25/2013 8:20:00 AM
Launch games have never been particularly impressive. Look back at how the 360's launch games compared to the PC versions, they were often meh
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#3wuphilly(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 8:24:47 AM
True, there were some games that looked like HD versions of the old Xbox games, but you also had games like Oblivion. Yes, it wasn't a launch title, but it came out soon after and it pushed the PCs to the limit while also running well on 360. It just seems like there's a much bigger divide this time around.
#4ShebeskiiPosted 8/25/2013 8:53:19 AM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
Launch games have never been particularly impressive. Look back at how the 360's launch games compared to the PC versions, they were often meh

Not really. The PS4 is not going to be a 360 in terms of power.

Oblivion required a very high end PC to run at around the same frames, resolution and settings.

This time around I think people with 1-2 year old graphics cards will be matching the PS4 for quite awhile and stuff like the 780 and above will never, ever be surpassed in any way for the entire life of the PS4.

The 360 never ended up surpassing the performance of the 8800GT. In fact, it never really came close.

Something like the 7970GHz will probably never be surpassed.

In 4 years I doubt the 7970GHz, if it gets proper support (which it may or may not... that's on AMD) will probably keep pace as a perfectly viable gaming card.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#5Fade2black001Posted 8/25/2013 8:53:23 AM
Consoles are dumbed down PCs of course they cant will NEVER compare to PCs.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#6ATARIJAWAPosted 8/25/2013 8:57:52 AM(edited)
the Ps4 has a 7970m (gpu) thats been modified into an APU with the cpu running at 1.8 ghz. . it's not particularly impressive. The xbox one is weaker than that. This new gen at launch is weaker against the mid range gaming pcs of 2013 than the ps3/xbox were against the mid range gaming pcs of 2005/2006.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#7godplaysSNESPosted 8/25/2013 8:59:14 AM(edited)
Shebeskii posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

Not really. The PS4 is not going to be a 360 in terms of power.

Oblivion required a very high end PC to run at around the same frames, resolution and settings.

This time around I think people with 1-2 year old graphics cards will be matching the PS4 for quite awhile and stuff like the 780 and above will never, ever be surpassed in any way for the entire life of the PS4.

Oblivion on the 360 was still worse than on the high-end PCs of that time. The PCs that Dice has used to demonstrate BF4 are also probably far from mid-range.

I think both the next-gen consoles and PCs will be hamstrung by the 360/PS3 for yet a while. Until those consoles "die", the core of the engines will still be based on their DX9-ish features

It will take time until the engines's workloads get optimal for the next-gen consoles, and we'll continue seeing improvements due to low level optimizations.

I don't think Nvidia's Kepler cards are as future proof as you believe. They lack full support for DX11.1/11.2, if games for example start using partially resident textures, Kepler may easily be surpassed by the PS4

Regarding being "future proof", the PC is a victim of companies doing PR stunts. Crysis 3 won't start on quad-Sli GTX 280, but is running on the eight year old 360.
---
#81337toothbrushPosted 8/25/2013 9:00:00 AM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...

Incorrect. The Xbox 360 was actually quite powerful for the time. Also, this time neither the PS4 nor the X1 are using exotic architectures. Xbox 360 had a tri-core when multi-core CPUs were not widely available on PC for the consumer. PS3 was even more funky. Now the X1 and PS4 both use an x86 architecture CPU and a common GPU with some small modifications. Unless the development kits are not up to snuff and unless those small modifications make some magical huge difference, don't expect developers to "unlock" amazing power. Any "unlocking" of amazing power that I could imagine will be done through GPGPU functionality (available to PCs since 2006) and through effective use of all eight CPU cores (though this CPU is already much weaker than most, if not all, gaming CPUs available for the PC).
---
------------
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/hobo2/nowsaving-1.png
#9NicodimusPosted 8/25/2013 9:05:20 AM
I know this is crazy talk, but I usually compare one finished product to another finished product.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#10godplaysSNESPosted 8/25/2013 9:11:47 AM(edited)
1337toothbrush posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

Incorrect. The Xbox 360 was actually quite powerful for the time. Also, this time neither the PS4 nor the X1 are using exotic architectures. Xbox 360 had a tri-core when multi-core CPUs were not widely available on PC for the consumer. PS3 was even more funky. Now the X1 and PS4 both use an x86 architecture CPU and a common GPU with some small modifications. Unless the development kits are not up to snuff and unless those small modifications make some magical huge difference, don't expect developers to "unlock" amazing power. Any "unlocking" of amazing power that I could imagine will be done through GPGPU functionality (available to PCs since 2006) and through effective use of all eight CPU cores (though this CPU is already much weaker than most, if not all, gaming CPUs available for the PC).

The Xbox 360's CPU may have been a triple core(3 cores, 6 threads), but its single threaded performance was very bad.
Capcom once compared the whole 360 CPU to be comparable to a Pentium D. Compared to high-end PCs of that time, the 512MB total RAM was also on the low side.

The consoles are somewhat exotic this time around, although obviously not as much as the 360. APUs have inherent efficiency advantages for GPGPU compared to a discrete GPU + CPU(APUs are available for PCs, but aren't taken advantage of in that way yet)

There are still efficiency gains to be had through low-level access. GCN has alot of features not currently being exposed in DirectX.

The Xbox 1 was also pretty much like a PC, that didn't stop it from getting more impressive games year after year.
---