This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If I was to get a laptop with one of the 800 cards in it, how long will it last?

#1BrutaI_DeluxePosted 8/25/2013 12:40:31 PM
By the new 800 ones, I mean the ones that nVidia will release hopefully not too late next year.

What I was hoping for was something that would ideally last the xboxone/ps4 generation.
Or would that next generation of nVidia not last that long?
#2BadProfessionalPosted 8/25/2013 1:40:44 PM(edited)
BrutaI_Deluxe posted...
By the new 800 ones, I mean the ones that nVidia will release hopefully not too late next year.

What I was hoping for was something that would ideally last the xboxone/ps4 generation.
Or would that next generation of nVidia not last that long?

It depends on which 800 series card you get. An 820m would only be a moderate step up from the last gen consoles (PS3, X360), while an 870m would blow the PS4/XB1 out of the water.

It also depends on what you mean by 'how long will it last?' If you mean how long until games become so demanding that you can't even play them at the very minimum settings without getting less than 10 FPS, the 870m would likely last 10+ years before it gets that bad, where as if your looking for how long it will last before it can't run most games on mostly high settings, then you'll be looking at 3 or 4 years for the 870m.
---
Sarcasm passes for serious here.
Serious passes for sarcasm here.
#3PhilOnDezPosted 8/25/2013 1:47:19 PM
The average lifespan of a laptop (this is just turns on and works, not plays games at 30+fps on low or anything) is something abysmally low like 18 months. Gaming laptops are obviously of higher quality than the typical Walmart Facebook machine but I'd say you should count yourself lucky if you aren't having physical problems out of it after the 4 year mark. I've had a few that lasted about that long, maybe a little longer, and there's just not much that can be done, regular cleaning only goes so far.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez