This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommendations for first Desktop PC used only for gaming

#1TooEducatedPosted 8/25/2013 2:31:50 PM
Hi all.

I recently purchased the Mass Effect Trilogy and tried to install it on my multi-purpose PC. Turns out my graphics card can't handle the games.

Now that I can purchase a computer for myself, rather than having to share with my entire family, I think it's time for me to invest in a PC specifically built for gaming. I don't have the time to invest in building my own right now, so I was looking for some advice on what machine to buy.

I'm expecting to sink most of my savings into the computer, so is there a desktop below $1000 which can go a while without hardware updates and still continue to play new games?

Thanks.
---
Founding Member of Faustian's Anonymous
#2Jprime666Posted 8/25/2013 2:36:45 PM
If you have time to play games then you have time to put a computer together.
---
How many emotions is people?
#3TimePharaohPosted 8/25/2013 2:38:22 PM
If you don't have the time to spend maybe two hours at worst to build a computer, what's the point in buying one for games when you clearly won't have time to play any? Unless you mean you don't have the time because all of your time will already be in use playing games....

Just say what you mean, eg. "I don't know how to do it"
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#4patribrodPosted 8/25/2013 2:40:26 PM
Seriously. It takes 30 minutes to assemble everything and 1-2 hours to install the OS and drivers. It's not a very lengthy project. Plus, shopping your parts is fun, and you'll need to check at the parts of prebuilt PCs one way or another. Just build one man.
---
FX8350 @ 4.5Ghz / ATI Sapphire 7870XT OCed / Patriot 64GB SSD / 2X1TB Hitachi 7200 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / 12GB DDR3 ADATA / 750W C-Master GX / Corsair 300R
#5TooEducated(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 2:46:36 PM
Okay, looks like I'll try building a desktop then. It looks like I misunderstood the amount of time and effort it would take to assemble one.

I know the sticky thread is a good start for building a decent machine, but it there a place to compare and contrast different parts? Can I find videos for assembly on YouTube or is there another series of videos that the board would recommend?
---
Founding Member of Faustian's Anonymous
#6DerPancakePosted 8/25/2013 2:57:11 PM(edited)
TooEducated posted...
Okay, looks like I'll try building a desktop then. It looks like I misunderstood the amount of time and effort it would take to assemble one.

I know the sticky thread is a good start for building a decent machine, but it there a place to compare and contrast different parts? Can I find videos for assembly on YouTube or is there another series of videos that the board would recommend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOYdNEHDQo

To build a computer.

and here is the PC you could build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wd8U
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt