This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How good of a processor upgrade shall this be?

#11GreenMage7Posted 8/26/2013 12:34:44 AM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It wouldn't take an i5 to do that. i3 would be more than adequate.

I don't like recommending dual cores to people. We are really getting to the point that everything new is being programmed to utilize 4+ threads. That's why I used the Battlefield 3 example. It's really apparent there. The days of dual cores being fine is on it's last legs. Even with an i3 being better in per core performance, I find it nearly impossible to recommend one of those over an FX-6300 because they are the same price (and on sale the 6300 runs cheaper) and the 6300 is unlocked and can handle 6 threads. The motherboard will probably be cheaper as well allowing a low end aftermarket cooler for a modest overclock.

Either way, unless you are sticking with what you have I don't personally recommend a CPU that can only utilize two threads if you want to play the newest games unless you plan on upgrading yet again in the near future. Take that for what you will.
#12Kingmichael1337Posted 8/26/2013 12:42:32 AM
dude don't get an apu if you've got a discrete gpu; that's pointless. if you want an inexpensive processor, get an fx-6300
---
I'M GAY.
#13DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/26/2013 1:37:03 AM
GreenMage7 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It wouldn't take an i5 to do that. i3 would be more than adequate.

I don't like recommending dual cores to people. We are really getting to the point that everything new is being programmed to utilize 4+ threads. That's why I used the Battlefield 3 example. It's really apparent there. The days of dual cores being fine is on it's last legs. Even with an i3 being better in per core performance, I find it nearly impossible to recommend one of those over an FX-6300 because they are the same price (and on sale the 6300 runs cheaper) and the 6300 is unlocked and can handle 6 threads. The motherboard will probably be cheaper as well allowing a low end aftermarket cooler for a modest overclock.

Either way, unless you are sticking with what you have I don't personally recommend a CPU that can only utilize two threads if you want to play the newest games unless you plan on upgrading yet again in the near future. Take that for what you will.

i3 runs 4 threads. Even if it didn't, it'd walk all over any AMD APU in the majority of software.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#14reincarnator07Posted 8/26/2013 4:50:57 AM
Since you have a discrete GPU, buying an APU is a waste. The processors in APUs aren't that great, you are paying for the integrated GPU, which it sounds like you won't be using.

Unless you really need that single core performance, I'd recommend a 6300 over an i3. They're pretty similar, except the 6300 can be OC'd.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#15Kingmichael1337Posted 8/26/2013 8:35:49 AM
nevermind about the fx-6300 if you don't want to upgrade your motherboard. you're going to be pretty limited if you insist on using that, but i'd recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113328
---
I'M GAY.