This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this a decent overclock?

#11GreenMage7Posted 8/26/2013 12:57:42 AM
I don't actually have a Haswell but apparently they are saying you shouldn't use Prime 95 to stress test Haswell as it is possible to damage your system. They explain in this cooling unit review here after about 3 minutes in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Z7zdk-ZHs

Just a fair warning. It does seem like you started using other tests. That's a nice overclock as well. =)
#12DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/26/2013 1:14:33 AM(edited)
MasterDonGero posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Not sure where people got the idea that Intel CPUs are rated for 100c. 4770k is only rated for ~72c.

TCase is 72.72C. TJMax is 100C.

And the "TJMax" for 960T is 90c.
The rated temperature for 4770k is ~72c, just like the rated temperature for 960T is 62c. Anything above that is not safe. TJMax is just the throttle temp, where the CPU will bluescreen/underclock/whatever to keep from melting completely.

As for Prime95 not being safe, it's only not safe in the sense that generating a lot of heat and consuming a lot of power is "not safe". It can fry your motherboard, or processor, just like using it a lot.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#13Fade2black001Posted 8/26/2013 1:26:04 AM
People still rely on stress testing a CPU for overclocking?
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#14MasterDonGeroPosted 8/26/2013 4:09:39 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
MasterDonGero posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Not sure where people got the idea that Intel CPUs are rated for 100c. 4770k is only rated for ~72c.

The rated temperature for 4770k is ~72c, just like the rated temperature for 960T is 62c. Anything above that is not safe. TJMax is just the throttle temp, where the CPU will bluescreen/underclock/whatever to keep from melting completely.

The TCase refers to the temp of the sensor at the center of the heat spreader, TJ Max refers to the sensor at a specific core. Obviously, it is not possible to measure the TCase temperature without some modding.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
As for Prime95 not being safe, it's only not safe in the sense that generating a lot of heat and consuming a lot of power is "not safe". It can fry your motherboard, or processor, just like using it a lot.

Apparently, if you're using an offset voltage with Haswell, Prime95 somehow ups the voltage by 0.1, but I haven't looked into it too much.

Fade2black001 posted...
People still rely on stress testing a CPU for overclocking?

Not sure what you're getting at.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#15AlleRacing(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 4:11:43 AM
Sorry if this is getting annoying. I tried some more tweaking this morning before work and I think I'm a bit happier with the results.

http://i.imgur.com/XLEb6pL.jpg

Only did 4 runs since I have to leave pretty soon, and I opened AI Suite to watch the temperature on recommendation from one of Linus' videos. It peaked at 82C in AI Suite and even the numbers in HWMonitor seem more in line with benchmarks I've seen of the same cooler and processor and overclock. I'll probably do a longer stability test when I get home.

Also Dark, I still don't understance about this 72C rating. Is that the highest my CPU should safely go? I'm new to this overclocking, but the CPU easily gets into the 60s at stock speeds with my Phanteks cooler, I imagine the stock cooler would easily break 72C under full load, and pretty much every benchmarking review I've seen has been in the 80-100C range, one reviewer even citing 100C as their cutoff point.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#16DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/26/2013 4:18:11 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
MasterDonGero posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

The TCase refers to the temp of the sensor at the center of the heat spreader, TJ Max refers to the sensor at a specific core. Obviously, it is not possible to measure the TCase temperature without some modding.

DarkZV2Beta posted...

Apparently, if you're using an offset voltage with Haswell, Prime95 somehow ups the voltage by 0.1, but I haven't looked into it too much.

In those screenshots, the CPU package temp is also reported, and also hits 100c.

Prime95 shouldn't be able to alter voltage unless the chipset software is somehow responding to the use of Prime95.
Wouldn't surprise me if someone just stuck LLC on, and saw the voltage spike.
---
Want that Shield!
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/26/2013 4:23:17 AM
AlleRacing posted...
Sorry if this is getting annoying. I tried some more tweaking this morning before work and I think I'm a bit happier with the results.

Only did 4 runs since I have to leave pretty soon, and I opened AI Suite to watch the temperature on recommendation from one of Linus' videos. It peaked at 82C in AI Suite and even the numbers in HWMonitor seem more in line with benchmarks I've seen of the same cooler and processor and overclock. I'll probably do a longer stability test when I get home.

Also Dark, I still don't understance about this 72C rating. Is that the highest my CPU should safely go? I'm new to this overclocking, but the CPU easily gets into the 60s at stock speeds with my Phanteks cooler, I imagine the stock cooler would easily break 72C under full load, and pretty much every benchmarking review I've seen has been in the 80-100C range, one reviewer even citing 100C as their cutoff point.

It means you shouldn't let it sit at over 72c. It's not going to make it explode as soon as it hits 73c, but it is bad for the chip, and after extended operation, may degrade stability.

Also, to throw it out there, I've used IBT to test for instability and had 10 passes come out fine in spite of the OC not being stable. Tested with 40 passes, and failed in the 30s.
Instability is quite random, so the longer you test, the better.
---
Want that Shield!
#18MasterDonGeroPosted 8/26/2013 10:05:03 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
AlleRacing posted...

It means you shouldn't let it sit at over 72c. It's not going to make it explode as soon as it hits 73c, but it is bad for the chip, and after extended operation, may degrade stability.

Also, to throw it out there, I've used IBT to test for instability and had 10 passes come out fine in spite of the OC not being stable. Tested with 40 passes, and failed in the 30s.
Instability is quite random, so the longer you test, the better.

Dude, that temperature is bogus. Unless TC has drilled a tiny hole and connected to the sensor in it, none of the temperatures TC can see are the TCase.

And the core temperatures will always be hotter than the temperature of the IHS.

I agree the second thing you said about stability.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom