This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help separating Skype call audio and computer audio (both output in my headset)

#1Kyle1022Posted 8/25/2013 11:20:04 PM
I'm trying to make it where the Skype call audio is the only audio that plays in my headset, and where the rest of the audio (system sounds, iTunes etc.) play through my laptop speakers.

To do this on W7, I just went to sounds and made the headset the default communications device and made the speakers the default device. However, now on my brother's W8 laptop, when I plug in the headset, no new device shows up. The only playback device that shows up is "speakers," even when I plug in the headset, which is strange. And it plays the computer audio AND the Skype call audio through it, which is annoying. How can I fix this?
#2DownSouth113Posted 8/25/2013 11:26:07 PM(edited)
Set the skype audio to headset, and default device and default comm device to speakers goto Skype and audio settings and make sure its headset

Try find or detect new hardware If its not listed
---
i5 3570k,Nvidia GTX 650 Ti, 8gb DDR3,ASRock Z77 Pro 4,Apevia Black/Blue X-Trooper, 675 Thermaltake,Windows 8
Steam- Perfectvillain
#3Kyle1022(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 11:41:36 PM
I've tried this with two different headsets and a pair of earbuds, all of which work on my W7 gaming rig. They all play audio on this W8 laptop too, but the problem is that none will show up as a separate device in "Sounds." The "Speakers" icon is the only one that shows up even when I plug in the other audio devices.

So it's not my devices and it's not my laptop. Is it f***ing Windows 8 being a pile of s***? Sorry but this is REALLY frustrating. I just want to listen to music and other stuff on my laptop while I talk and Skype, and I don't wanna hear everything through the headset, just the Skype call audio.
#4YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/26/2013 12:15:46 AM
A lot of laptops are wired so that the headphone jack just interrupts the signal before it goes to the speakers. Windows doesn't see it as 2 devices. Can't separate it.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#5Kyle1022(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 1:39:23 AM
That is SO dumb seeing as how my six year old laptop separates the signals, and this 2 month old sack of s*** won't do it. WTF
#6Combo MasterPosted 8/26/2013 3:07:45 AM
Can't find an answer on how to do this in windows 8 using a google search. I assume you would need a separate program to do this and cannot be done just in windows 8.
---
Combo Master
#7wizardmonPosted 8/26/2013 4:48:40 AM
you need two different sound devices to do what you are trying.
For instance, if you had USB headphones they'd show up as their own device and you could channel skype to them specifically.

It's a hardware issue, some laptops separate speakers and headsets while others do not.

This has nothing to do with Windows 7 or 8.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#801Philip01Posted 8/26/2013 7:37:04 AM
Quote:you need two different sound devices to do what you are trying.
For instance, if you had USB headphones they'd show up as their own device and you could channel skype to them specifically.

It's a hardware issue, some laptops separate speakers and headsets while others do not.

@wizardmon

But it's easier to blame win8.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#9Kyle1022(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 7:51:02 AM
01Philip01 posted...
Quote:you need two different sound devices to do what you are trying.

@wizardmon

But it's easier to blame win8.

Please point to where I blamed Windows 8.