This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How important are case fans?

#1Marioface5Posted 8/26/2013 1:02:21 AM
I have two case fans running on my computer, one of the front and one on the top near the back. The top one just stopped working, after making really loud, horrible noises. It would sometimes not make the noises, or sometimes they would just be quiet clicking sounds, but a little bit ago it went crazy and the fan blades just stopped spinning. As far as I've seen there's no indication of the fan blades being damage or broken, so despite the sounds the only negative effect now seems to be that the fan isn't running. I'm not sure if turning the computer off for a bit and turning it back on would turn the fan back on, but with how awful the noises it made were I'd rather just have the fan off for now.

To get the point though, how important are case fans? Should I go and buy a replacement fan, or try to fix the existing one? As far as I can tell the only thing I could do to fix the current one is to slow it down a bit, but I have no idea how to do that since right now it's hooked up with a Molex connector and I don't know if I can change that or not. Is this fan really necessary though? The case has a good amount of holes and such to let air through, but I don't want to risk overheating if that's likely to happen.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#2GreenMage7Posted 8/26/2013 1:05:19 AM
I could answer your question, but it might be better if you read up on things yourself and then make an educated decision.

Search engine brought up this article and it isn't too confusing, hope it helps and inspires you to seek knowledge rather than answers. =)

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/692-how-many-case-fans-should-you-have
#3Marioface5(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 1:38:55 AM(edited)
That was very informative! So from the knowledge I've gained from that it seems like the fan that is no longer running (and the fan in the back of the case that isn't hooked up at all at the moment, and is relatively hard to move with my finger when inspecting the inside of the case) is an exhaust fan. The fan that's working fine at the front is an intake fan. Given all of the holes and such in the case, especially the ones around where the top exhaust fan is, I imagine that the lack of a working fan there probably won't be too much of an issue since the hot air should leave through those openings naturally, though having the fan working would be preferable.

I'll check things out with it more when I get the chance, probably tomorrow, and see if I can hook it up with something other than the Molex connector so that I can slightly lower its speed rather than trying to replace it completely. And then I can also look into getting the back fan working, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that or not. Thank you!

EDIT: Okay, from what I'm reading it seems like the problem with my fan is most likely the bearing on it. So if it's not too late to do so, I should be able to find a way to fix that and have things working well again.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5