This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I miss the old days of PC games **Nostalgia Thread Warning**

#1VeryDarkSoulPosted 8/26/2013 6:36:27 AM
Where I could go to the software store and find lots of quality titles

Heroes of Might and Magic
Age of Empires
Starcraft/Warcraft/
Command and Conquer
The Settlers
Total Annihilation
Mechwarrior
Worms
SimCity
Lords of the Realm

And wonderful RPGs like the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, the early Fallout series and Tactics, as well as Planescape Torment and Arcanum (Does anyone even remember Arcanum?)

Then the more action-oriented rpgs like Diablo 1 and 2. I don't think any game has ever come close to the popularity of Diablo 2 in recent years, in the same genre at least. I found Lionheart at a thrift shop not too long ago. A bit of a mix between rpgs like Baldur's Gate and Diablo.

And the best thing about all these games are they were marvelous without requiring some supercomputer just to run at a decent framerate. I was even playing Warcraft 3 and Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 with a 533mhz processor. Imagine that. Starcraft is one of the most widely played games ever and only required a 90mhz processor, hilarious!

Does anyone remember Delta Force for the PC? It was such a bad FPS game by today's standards, but it was still tons of fun. Unreal Tournament 2003 was the king of competitive FPS, and Call of Duty 1 and 2 were actually good Call of Duty titles.

Most things today are quite frankly, just crap. If a major release comes to PC, it's ported from console, and has some attached DRM scheme, whether it's a max amount of installs, steam, origin, or something else. What recent RTS has been great at all? Starcraft 2 has a pretty awesome scenario editor, I guess. My last favorite RTS was Rise of Nations.

And what RPG has been great? Mass Effect 1 was pretty fun (The only one I played, I don't do cash-in sequels) but the choices in that game were a joke and everything was dumbed down to cater to the "Omg guns, pew pew" crowd. Barely was an RPG. I do admit Fallout 3 was helluva lot of fun. Games like Skyrim can be fun, but who honestly plays it for a deep, engrossing story? The story is this: Kill dragons, 'cause dragons are there, and exp.

Seems the more advanced graphics get, the less resources are attributed to other things. Neverwinter Night's graphics were butt. Some nice lighting effects and such, but the faces did actually look like butt. I played that game and every single expansion, as well as Darkness over Daggerford, the unofficial, but official expansion, since it was made by, uh the people that used to be Black Isle I believe. The game editor let anyone make an interesting story with their own custom graphics and everything, so you could play your character almost indefinitely, and online too! Imagine that, a deep RPG you can play online. Good luck getting Bethesda to program that. They have been using the same programming goats for over a decade most likely. How about less eye colors and funny cat faces and more meaningful character choices?

So uh enjoy your SimCity 5, Call of Duty... (1,2,3,4,4-2,4-3,WaW,BO,BO2,GHOST) and Dragon Age 3!
---
Ron Paul 2012
#2Jprime666Posted 8/26/2013 6:39:09 AM
Tl;dr
---
How many emotions is people?
#3r0ge00Posted 8/26/2013 6:48:40 AM
This kind of topic belongs on /r/Gaming.

"DAE remember these gems?"
#4AsucaHayashiPosted 8/26/2013 6:50:44 AM
reading the list i thought this was going to be a topic about being able to go to your local game store and browse a healthy selection of physical PC titles...
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#5VeryDarkSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 6:52:01 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...
reading the list i thought this was going to be a topic about being able to go to your local game store and browse a healthy selection of physical PC titles...

Going to the game store to find PC titles now is a joke. You just get an outdated installation CD with a steam key.
---
Ron Paul 2012
#6CommonJoePosted 8/26/2013 6:54:26 AM
TC claims to miss old day sof PC games, says this:

VeryDarkSoul posted...
almost everything. Seriously. PC gaming just stresses me out. Finding out what causes a crash, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling multiple drivers multiple times to troubleshoot things, having to wait a month for a patch to fix a gamebreaking bug/glitch/crash.

A game running stupidly slow for absolutely no reason, newer versions of Windows not supporting the older games, ginormous patch updates for mmos that take hours to download (and if I get lucky the patch bugs out and I have to reinstall the entire 6-7gb game), wrist pain from using mouse + kb in games that absolutely require it, etc etc etc

---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#7El_KazPosted 8/26/2013 6:57:09 AM
VeryDarkSoul posted...
So uh enjoy your SimCity 5, Call of Duty... (1,2,3,4,4-2,4-3,WaW,BO,BO2,GHOST) and Dragon Age 3!

Ah yes, the usual "today's games are s***" rant that is based on nothing but Top 10 sellers AAA titles.
---
Wait... what?
#8SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/26/2013 6:59:05 AM
CommonJoe posted...
TC claims to miss old day sof PC games, says this:

VeryDarkSoul posted...
almost everything. Seriously. PC gaming just stresses me out. Finding out what causes a crash, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling multiple drivers multiple times to troubleshoot things, having to wait a month for a patch to fix a gamebreaking bug/glitch/crash.

A game running stupidly slow for absolutely no reason, newer versions of Windows not supporting the older games, ginormous patch updates for mmos that take hours to download (and if I get lucky the patch bugs out and I have to reinstall the entire 6-7gb game), wrist pain from using mouse + kb in games that absolutely require it, etc etc etc

Yeah, I was going to say something about him not being there. Mostly about the not needing a supercomputer to run games. Games are able to be scaled back way further now than they were back then.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#9VeryDarkSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 6:59:19 AM
El_Kaz posted...
VeryDarkSoul posted...

Ah yes, the usual "today's games are s***" rant that is based on nothing but Top 10 sellers AAA titles.

care to share some great modern games? I can name torchlight 2 for one, even though the story is skip material. Gameplay and art style are great though.
---
Ron Paul 2012
#10SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/26/2013 7:03:04 AM(edited)
VeryDarkSoul posted...
El_Kaz posted...
VeryDarkSoul posted...

care to share some great modern games? I can name torchlight 2 for one, even though the story is skip material. Gameplay and art style are great though.

Civ5, Total War, Paradox' EU engine strategy games, Magicka, FTL and Terraria come to mind for me.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch