This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT: The last time you did a full install or reinstall of your OS

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. ITT: The last time you did a full install or reinstall of your OS
2 years ago#1
The Macbook Pro 2009 that I'm currently using is running on 3 years without an OS reinstall. I've been able to get my copies of Snow Leopard and Lion for free from my work and used that to upgrade.

I had an XP machine that stayed relatively tidy that I kept up and running for about 2 years before I decided back up, wipe, and install Windows 7.

When was the last time you did a new install or reinstall of your OS? New computer build? New Linux distro? Or are you still sticking with the same OS because you haven't had issues arise?
---
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.
2 years ago#2
I don't quite understand the point of reinstalling a Mac OS. There's no registry or anything to get clogged up, right? I don't use them much but as far as I understand, when you install a program everything it needs to run is usually inside the installation folder, unlike Windows, where crap is just all over the place.

I keep my stuff tidy so I usually have no reason to reinstall. Too much effort reinstalling all my programs I need for work IMO.
---
Ron Paul 2012
2 years ago#3
Summer 2011.

I would lose a lot of things if I did a fresh install, mainly specific VS2012 settings that I would like to keep.
---
The complainer formally known as 1337_FF_GoD
http://i.imgur.com/Jb58DQv.jpg - Tanks Nade!
2 years ago#4
When I first put together my computer I used a W7 Ultimate upgrade disk to install. Since then the HDD broke and I'm going to buy another one. Will using the same upgrade disk (doing a double install) work for the new HDD or do I need to buy another copy ?
2 years ago#5
Ragdoll47 posted...
When I first put together my computer I used a W7 Ultimate upgrade disk to install. Since then the HDD broke and I'm going to buy another one. Will using the same upgrade disk (doing a double install) work for the new HDD or do I need to buy another copy ?

Actually, have a look at this.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

Basically, you do a clean install with an upgrade disc and then upgrade that install (with the same upgrade disc).
---
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.
2 years ago#6
I install Windows 8 about once a month. It's fun!
---
Don't hinder Jinder
I'm a white girl with nice boobs
2 years ago#7
When I built my pc about a month and a half ago.
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
2 years ago#8
When I installed my SSD about 10 months ago.
2 years ago#9
When my SSD crapped out on me about 6 months ago.
---
I486SX 33MHz |256MB RAM | IBM EGA 64kb | Dell M990 19" CRT | IBM 200watt PSU
2 years ago#10
When I built this PC 23 months ago.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. ITT: The last time you did a full install or reinstall of your OS

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived