This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BestBuy Replacement Plan for new Nexus 7 -- should I get 1 year or 2 years?

#1MwulfPosted 8/26/2013 8:17:27 AM
Basically, for those who don't know, BestBuy's product replacement plan will replace what you buy with either the same item -or- the equivalent value in BestBuy gift credit. (So if you buy a $300 item and a 3 year warranty, you can come back 2 years 364 days later and get $300 in gift credit).

Anyway, last week I grabbed a new 32GB Nexus 7... and I'm loving it. Now, I'm getting ready to trot into BB and get a replacement plan--one year is $60, two years is $110. (I have until 2 weeks after the purchase). And I'm trying to decide which to get.

Right now, since the costs are so similar, it seems best to just get a 1 year plan, and get a new tablet this time next year--and get a new protection plan at the same time to get a new tablet in two years. But back when I was asking around about which tablet to buy, I was advised to get the 2 year PRP. So... any thoughts?

Do we know when the next version of the N7 will come out? Is it a yearly thing?
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/26/2013 8:20:54 AM
The old nexus 7 came with a 1 year manufacturer warranty and ARM/tablets haven't really been following Moore's law, they've been advancing a lot faster. Instead of buying a 2 year warranty just put that $110 towards a new tablet whenever that one breaks.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3AnatomyHorrorPosted 8/26/2013 8:22:36 AM
So you just lose tax + $60 if you go one year. I'd do it if it really works out like that. Since tablets aren't changing much who knows when the next breakthrough on them will be. Could be next year and you could just take yours back.
#4VeryDarkSoulPosted 8/26/2013 8:29:34 AM
it already comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty. I don't see any point in a 1 year bestbuy warranty. Seems scammy to me. Even $110 for 2 years is ridiculous
---
Ron Paul 2012
#5wildog2006Posted 8/26/2013 8:34:08 AM
That's not how it works. If they have a refurb they can order, that's what you get. If not, you get the CURRENT value of the item. Don't think I'm right? I was the guy who had to deal with you when you are wrong. Luckily I'm no longer a slave to geek squad, but 99.9% chance you get a refurb instead of your money back.

Read the fine print. Don't believe what the blue shirts tell you, they will lie just to make a sale.
---
i7-3770k ~ EVGA GTX670 4GB ~ Intel DZ77GAL-70k ~ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ~ 180GB SSD + 1TB HDD ~ Corsair 850W PSU ~ Silverstone Redline
PSN/360/Steam ~ irysh9
#6Trance_FanPosted 8/26/2013 8:37:06 AM
ARM/tablets haven't really been following Moore's law,

moore's law doesn't exist, anyone can develop anything 100x better than what we have now..it's called r&d, all these companies have tech already developed that we wont see yet because of how the market works

moore's law is as silly as christopher columbus discovering the earth was round
---
i think it's nice
#7blax34dmPosted 8/26/2013 9:08:12 AM
wildog2006 posted...
That's not how it works. If they have a refurb they can order, that's what you get. If not, you get the CURRENT value of the item. Don't think I'm right? I was the guy who had to deal with you when you are wrong. Luckily I'm no longer a slave to geek squad, but 99.9% chance you get a refurb instead of your money back.

Read the fine print. Don't believe what the blue shirts tell you, they will lie just to make a sale.

You oughta thank this guy
#8ThePHiLsTeRPosted 8/26/2013 11:21:25 AM
You also should consider whether best buy will even be around in 2 years. They are not doing so hot.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#9ein311Posted 8/26/2013 11:23:44 AM
$110 for a 2 year warranty on a $300 device?

Screw the warranty, buy the latest model when your current one breaks.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#10nehukogPosted 8/26/2013 11:28:22 AM
I know at the bestbuy in out town they always tell us that their warranty covers accidents, and that if you get the warranty just use the device as a frisbee right before the warranty ends, and come in and it will be replaced with the newest version. Not sure how true that is, but seen people buy the warranty just off that