This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MSI 610 GT good for a backup card?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. MSI 610 GT good for a backup card?
3 years ago#1
Bought a 760 last week. After a day of use it bricked, so I RMA'd it. I already gave my old card to my sister, so now I'm stuck with nothing for about a week.

I'm looking at an MSI GeForce 610 GT on craigslist for $30. Obviously I don't plan to be able to play all my games on high settings or anything in the meantime. I just need to be able to use my PC, capture console gameplay, edit videos, and maybe play some older games.

You guys think that's a good investment to hold me over for a week or so, and have on-hand as a backup card?
Game Conquerors Top 100 Games of All Time
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdvbVOHRybalW-7GExzgqbbBf1bGVV3L
3 years ago#2
That card is so bad, it's not even worth bothering with.
i5 2500 | 8Gb DDR3 | GTX 670 FTW | Asus P8 P67 | Intel 330 SSD | XFX 650W | Dell U2711
3 years ago#3
What kind of system doesn't have built in integrated graphics these days?
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
3 years ago#4
It's better than nothing... but barely better. I wouldn't spend $30 on it. I would just wait. 610 is a bad card even for a dirt cheap price. Installing it alone would be more trouble than it is worth.
"Even if you go by the cheapest price the game has ever been anywhere, psn+ would still be cheaper by at least 3 fold". DemonDog on psn+ vs. Steam
3 years ago#5
Dirk85UK posted...
That card is so bad, it's not even worth bothering with.

Yeah, which CPU do you have? If my 460 conks out, I would use my i5's HD 2000 graphics until I can get a replacement.

EDIT Oops, I quoted the wrong post! It's all this BF3 hassle getting to me.
3 years ago#6
As much as a piece of garbage the 610 is there aren't too many better cards out there for $30. Not sure if you'll be able to play a lot of newer gamer even at low settings at 768 resolution. I'm sure there's slightly better cards out there for 30 but they'd be online and you'd have to wait a week for shipping which would completely negate most of the point of getting it.
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
3 years ago#7
I have an FX-8350, so no integrated graphics. Is the card really that bad? Like I said, I don't really plan on gaming with it; I just need to be able to use my PC. My previous card was a Radeon HD 5450, which has significantly lower benchmark scores, and it worked fine for the things I need to do.
Game Conquerors Top 100 Games of All Time
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdvbVOHRybalW-7GExzgqbbBf1bGVV3L
3 years ago#8
fiasco86 posted...
I have an FX-8350, so no integrated graphics. Is the card really that bad? Like I said, I don't really plan on gaming with it; I just need to be able to use my PC. My previous card was a Radeon HD 5450, which has significantly lower benchmark scores, and it worked fine for the things I need to do.

well capturing and editing gt610 won't help on those but running your pc without integrated will
tip give your gt610 to your sister she won't know
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc
3 years ago#9
Dragnfyr posted...
What kind of system doesn't have built in integrated graphics these days?

*Raises hand*
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
3 years ago#10
No. Just find an GTS 250 or HD4850. An outdated mid range 5 years ago would be a better choice than a piece of crap now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. MSI 610 GT good for a backup card?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived