This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need advice from gaming PC and console owners on here.

#1MrMonkhousePosted 8/26/2013 12:56:00 PM
I'm thinking about buying a PS3 for GTAV just because I cant wait and I'm a big fan of GTA. And for some reason I enjoyed GTAIV more on the console than the PC version of it modded. There's also some other games I want that are sold exclusively on the consoles such as KH 1.5 HD Remix, MGSV, FFX/FFX-2 HD, FFXIII-2, Dark Cloud 3, MAYBE GT6, that other racing game, and a few others and the PC genre is somewhat lacking in the JRPG department.

But anyways, how do you guys manage price wise? Do you guys trade in your games often or what? I dont want to spend too much money on games.
---
http://i.imgur.com/r9pppzV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
#2BuburibonPosted 8/26/2013 1:01:22 PM
I only purchase a handful of console exclusives per year, which doesn't turn out to be very expensive. This year, for instance, I've only bought The Last Of Us and Pikmin 3 so far. As far as GTAV is concerned, I'll wait for the PC release.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#3AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/26/2013 1:04:56 PM
I don't trade in my games, but that's mainly because I try to buy what I know I'll want to keep, and I barely have enough time on my hands as it is to game regularly, so I don't play the trade-in game with stores.

Money, too. I'm not made of it.

Most people here are going to tell you it's never worth it to buy a system just for ONE game. However, since you're considering a PS3 late in it's lifecycle, you could probably do with making a small list of already-released games that you want, and then buy them online. Those two factors mean you could well be paying as low as $15 or $20 + shipping for the games that you want, depending on the game as well, of course.
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
~
#4anonymous46773Posted 8/26/2013 1:08:38 PM
I only play a few exclusives on my consoles, which doesn't really cost me a whole lot. The rest of my games I buy on Steam during massive sales.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#5rkpeaglePosted 8/26/2013 1:10:18 PM
MrMonkhouse posted...
I'm thinking about buying a PS3 for GTAV just because I cant wait and I'm a big fan of GTA. And for some reason I enjoyed GTAIV more on the console than the PC version of it modded. There's also some other games I want that are sold exclusively on the consoles such as KH 1.5 HD Remix, MGSV, FFX/FFX-2 HD, FFXIII-2, Dark Cloud 3, MAYBE GT6, that other racing game, and a few others and the PC genre is somewhat lacking in the JRPG department.

But anyways, how do you guys manage price wise? Do you guys trade in your games often or what? I dont want to spend too much money on games.

When was this announced?
---
FC - 5284-1505-9659
#6SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/26/2013 1:21:46 PM(edited)
Dark Cloud 3 doesn't exist FYI.

As for other JRPGs, FFXIII-2 is good(XIII isn't but you can skip it since there is a summary of it on XIII-2), Resonance of Fate is excellent, the Atelier games and Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny have a specific appeal. Ni No Kuni is pretty divisive, but I really enjoyed it.

If you like GTA you'll almost certainly like RDR.

Also, Dragon's Crown is excellent, though not really an RPG.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#7GameMan987Posted 8/26/2013 1:21:06 PM
I manage very well with sales for pc games and Gamefly for console games. $20 a month and I've played nearly every good console game that's come out in the last few years. The only thing you have to watch out for is online passes, but to me the savings are worth either buying the pass or skipping the multiplayer.

However, since you mainly want older games you could probably find them pretty cheap anyways.
#8KillerTrufflePosted 8/26/2013 1:24:39 PM
I don't trade in games, but I watch for substantial sales on console games, and I buy far fewer games than I do on PC. It's not all that cost-effective, but I do keep a couple consoles just for the exclusives (Ni No Kuni is the most recent). With a handful of exceptions tho, most cross-platform games I own on PC, not console.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#9r0ge00Posted 8/26/2013 1:27:34 PM
I pick them up from Amazon Warehouse Deals or eBay usually. If I get a game new, it usually has a pre-order discount of some sort from Newegg or wherever. In some cases, you can sell the pre-order DLC for a pretty penny and recoup some costs. Craigslist is a decent place to pick up stuff too if you don't mind using it. There's lots of options for not paying full price.

Flipping takes some effort, but if you're good, you can get games for a lot cheaper using trade-in credit built from flips. If all else fails, wait a few months. Practically everything but super niche titles go on sale and even those have 1-2 in their lifetime.
#10ShpooplePosted 8/26/2013 1:32:30 PM
Definitely worth getting a console for exclusives, they're cheap enough really. All the elitists that refuse to get a console should just be ignored, they're as bad as the X1 vs PS4 fanboys.

I was going to pick up a PS3 myself in the new year to try the games I missed out on, like Uncharted, Last of Us etc.