This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can Microsoft Office 2013 Student be installed on multiple PCs simultaneously?

#11GreenMage7Posted 8/26/2013 6:52:22 PM
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Just going to put this right here and walk away.

And yes, it's either buy it once for only one PC or pay every year for a 5 PC license. It's horrible.
#12LyokoNinjaPosted 8/26/2013 7:43:38 PM
GreenMage7 posted...
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Just going to put this right here and walk away.

And yes, it's either buy it once for only one PC or pay every year for a 5 PC license. It's horrible.

Good idea. Until Microsoft removes support for .doc files (and they haven't removed support for older formats yet, afaik), Libre Office should be good enough for the average user, I'd imagine. I hate the idea of subscription programs.

I have nothing against the cloud, but it angers me when companies only give access to it by bundling it with subscription services and purposely hinder their other, non-subscription and non-cloud products or discontinue them. *coughadobecough*

Speaking of the cloud (and Office 365), I wonder if it would be possible to make Libre Office for WP8 as a free app to use in place of Office 365. I don't know how whatever license it uses would affect an attempt to do that, though. Do you think Microsoft wouldn't allow it on the store if it is possible to port it? Probably a really stupid thought, and I only had it because I've been using Libre Office on my OpenPandora.
#13Treason686Posted 8/26/2013 7:51:33 PM
gastaman posted...
sauruschamp1 posted...
hmm your right thats pretty bad of them obviously trying to push more people into buying into the con that is 365.

I like Office 365. It works for me and my needs. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely the better choice for some.

Office 2010 Home and Student allowed for installation on three PCs. Office 2010 Standard and Business versions allowed for installation on two PCs. Office 2013 allows for ONE installation for all versions unless you purchase the subscription garbage that is Office 365.

Do you still like Office 365?

Office is by far the best suite for word processing, spreadsheets, and slides, but this is a program that doesn't need a subscription and I will never support this subscription model.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#14gastamanPosted 8/26/2013 8:49:32 PM(edited)
Treason686 posted...
gastaman posted...
sauruschamp1 posted...
hmm your right thats pretty bad of them obviously trying to push more people into buying into the con that is 365.

I like Office 365. It works for me and my needs. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely the better choice for some.

Office 2010 Home and Student allowed for installation on three PCs. Office 2010 Standard and Business versions allowed for installation on two PCs. Office 2013 allows for ONE installation for all versions unless you purchase the subscription garbage that is Office 365.

Do you still like Office 365?

Office is by far the best suite for word processing, spreadsheets, and slides, but this is a program that doesn't need a subscription and I will never support this subscription model.

Yes. I still like Office 365. Do you honestly think you're telling me anything new that I don't already know? Do you have a problem with me liking Office 365?

Edit:
Also, will Office 2010 Professional let me install on 5 computers, regardless if it is Windows or Mac?

Will it let me stream the full Office Professional suite to any Windows 7/8 internet enabled PC?

Will it upgrade me to the next version of Office when it comes out?

Will it give me 20GB of cloud storage?

Will it give me 60 Skype world minutes a month?

Will it grant me access to the official Office Mobile suite on iOS and Android?
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#15Treason686Posted 8/27/2013 8:35:57 AM
I am now completely convinced you post something, Google more information, then come back and edit your post with new info you just found. So yes, I do think I'm telling you things you don't know. But I'll bite.

1. Most people have Windows PCs, and most people don't have five computers, nor the need for the Professional suite. After eight years in retail, I've learned 90+ percent of Office customers buy the home version, making subscription based a horrible deal for the majority of Office customers. When I tell them about Office 365, nearly all of my customers end up buying the H&S license.

2. Teamviewer streams... For free. I don't know how important this is for the average consumer, though. I would say not at all.

3. By the time the next version comes out, you'll have bought the software 2-3 times. I can't recall anyone ever rushing to get a new version of Office, anyway. 2007 is still fully functional these days.

4. I have Dropbox, which is free. I have 30-40 GB, support on all major platforms, and integration with hundreds of applications. Why would anyone care about MS cloud storage?

5. Skype?

6. No, but I have access to plenty of fully functional suites that don't require logging in, and they actually work.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#16gastamanPosted 8/27/2013 9:33:29 AM
LOL. No, you aren't telling me anything new. Also, if you re-read my post, I already said Office 365 isn't for everyone. I don't see why you are trying to argue that it isn't the right solution for me.

1. I have more than 5 devices. One is a Mac. I also use Access, which requires the Professional suite.

2. Teamviewer would require the computer with Office to be turned on. Office On-Demand is a much better solution for streaming Office.

3. I get the latest version of Office when it comes out. Professional is $400. That's 4 years of Office 365. New versions of Office usually release in 3 years. I would not have paid for the software 2-3 times by then.

4. I use Skydrive. It's integrated into Windows 8 and the new Office. It's also available on all platforms. It's my choice for cloud storage.

5. I use Skype, as well. Because you don't, it's not worth considering by others? OK.

6. I find the official Office Mobile suite to be the best and prefer to use it.

Again, like I said, Office 365 isn't for everyone, but for me, and some others, it is the best choice.

LOL, it's funny that you have such a big problem with me liking it. Makes me like it more =)
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200