This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ultrabook for school/light gaming ~ $1k ??

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ultrabook for school/light gaming ~ $1k ??
2 years ago#1
What do you guys think? I was to stick with an ultrabook since this guy'll be hauled around campus/town all day. Here's what I'm eyeing at the moment:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2740-clevo-w740su-p-6201.html

Only a lb heavier than a Macbook Air and .1" or so thicker, but has a 1080p display and Intel's Iris 5200.
---
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H80i
2 years ago#2
I don't know if it is just me, but I always wonder why people would pay that much for a laptop without a graphics card... Maybe it is just me.
---
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
2 years ago#3
anthrax360x posted...
I don't know if it is just me, but I always wonder why people would pay that much for a laptop without a graphics card... Maybe it is just me.

Some people care about the convenience that an ultrabook sized laptop can provide. Make sense now?
---
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H80i
2 years ago#4
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...

Some people care about the convenience that an ultrabook sized laptop can provide. Make sense now?

I understand that, but why $1000? Why not a couple hundred bucks cheaper if "light gaming" (not in quotes to offend, just the definition of that varies) is all you want it for? Especially since you have a gaming rig already
---
2 years ago#5
anthrax360x posted...
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...

I understand that, but why $1000? Why not a couple hundred bucks cheaper if "light gaming" (not in quotes to offend, just the definition of that varies) is all you want it for? Especially since you have a gaming rig already

My scholarship allows up to 1400 for a laptop. Whatever I don't use get's wasted.

Last year I picked up a Lenovo u310 for less than $300 and spoiled myself on ultrabooks and just can't see myself using anything bulkier after that.
---
2 years ago#6
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...

My scholarship allows up to 1400 for a laptop. Whatever I don't use get's wasted.

Can you combine your scholarship with your own money to get a better laptop?
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
2 years ago#7
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...

Ah, that's pretty cool. At first I thought that I was getting about $1000 for a laptop, but then realized what they meant was that $1000 was factored into the loans I should take out to buy one... that was a disappointing day, although I still ended up getting a laptop I'm 100% satisfied with (will be 150% satisfied if Lenovo gets around to releasing a 750m ultrabay...)
---
2 years ago#8
I saw this on Anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7238/acer-v7482pg9884-review-everything-you-need

Looks good since no Haswell and GPU refreshes on Apple's side yet. The Sager one does have Iris Pro, I guess.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
2 years ago#9
"book" and gaming don't go together.

Get a decent, heavy LAPTOP or don't get nothing at all.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
2 years ago#10
Auron_59261 posted...

My scholarship allows up to 1400 for a laptop. Whatever I don't use get's wasted..

I'm done paying taxes.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ultrabook for school/light gaming ~ $1k ??

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived