This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

M95 or M65?

#1thatfool12GsPosted 8/26/2013 4:44:43 PM
Any thoughts regarding these two mice from anyone who uses them? I need to buy a new mouse because my Deathadder sensor has a mind of it's own now, and hates straight lines apparently.

I primarily play FPS, so the M65 should do just fine, but the M95 has a ton of extra buttons on the side that I could find useful.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#2El_KazPosted 8/26/2013 5:05:36 PM
The M60/65 is a solid mouse. Love mine.
As for the 95; I doubt all these buttons would see much use if you're not playing MMOs... but maybe you're more creative than I am.
---
Wait... what?
#3thatfool12Gs(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 5:08:27 PM
El_Kaz posted...
The M60/65 is a solid mouse. Love mine.
As for the 95; I doubt all these buttons would see much use if you're not playing MMOs... but maybe you're more creative than I am.

I agree on the MMO thing, but I'm sure I can think of a few functions for a game like Arma 3 with it's crazy amount of functions.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#4Lord_CohlianiPosted 8/26/2013 5:12:17 PM(edited)
The sensor sucks. If you can handle it, knock yourself out.
---
SteamID: Lord Cohliani
#5thatfool12Gs(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 5:47:14 PM
Lord_Cohliani posted...
The sensor sucks. If you can handle it, knock yourself out.

Strange. I've read in several places that the sensor was top notch. What issues have you had with it? Also, keep in mind im currently using a Razer product.
---
#6UnyieldingBRPosted 8/26/2013 8:56:22 PM
I have an m90, don't even play MMOs, and I love it.
#7x_Alpha_xPosted 8/26/2013 8:58:46 PM
i have the M95, I love it. ive programmed the side for multiple games
#8_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/26/2013 11:44:26 PM(edited)
The thing is , that this generation of Avago ADNS sensors are actually quite good in a lot of ways, and will feel good to most people. The lift off distance, tracking speed, the way it handles different surfaces and all of that stuff is pretty good. Among laser sensors, it is probably one of the best if not the best.

The reason some people say the sensor sucks is because it has some positive hardware acceleration that you can not get rid of. This is annoying because it makes it so that not only distance covered by the mouse determines the cursor movement on the screen, but ever so slightly, also the speed with which you cover that distance becomes a factor. This is especially annoying for someone who is both used to having no acceleration and who uses a low sensitivity, doing a lot of long sweeps at variable speeds. That said, the acceleration on these sensors is really small and will not hold back the average gamer. Then again, when you are paying this much for a mouse, why not prioritize the quality of the sensor.

One thing I personally do not like are mice that are very heavy. I think both of these mice fall in the very heavy category, though the M95 is definitely the worst of the two. I feel like the feature of letting you put additional weights in the mouse (that is already heavy) is pointless and gimmicky. But that is just my opinion. In defense of this opinion look at the pro FPS scene. Mice with gimmicks like this are pretty much non-existent there (in less mouse centric genres people pretty much use whatever).

All in all, they are not bad mice. And if the shape works for you then they are a good option. However, when you want to really prioritize the sensor first, then you are better off choosing an optical sensor. They typically have a lower DPI, but unlike some will have you believe, DPI is not what makes a good sensor (the amount of DPI the new laser sensors serve almost no other purpose than putting bigger numbers on the box). Some mice known for their superior optical sensor without acceleration, prediction etc. are the Zowie AM & FK, EC1& EC2, Logitech G400(S), Deathadder 3G, 3.5G, 4G, Microsoft WMO and IE etc.

I will say that people fear acceleration more than they need to . Is some games , like Quake, acceleration is not even a bad thing to have. For example, it can give you some continuous variable sensitivity. Aim slow to be accurate and the cursor moves very slow. Sweep fast, to turn 180 degrees and you do not have to cover as big of a distance. But even then, I would rather have the option to use software acceleration rather than being stuck to some percentage of acceleration that may or may not be consistent and may or may not be negative.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#9DARQ MXPosted 8/26/2013 11:59:30 PM
I have the m95. I like it... but the pads kinda suck on it. They eventually get used in a way. Like legit after a month or so where they begin to scratch in a way where it feels like you are dragging a mini boulder under your mouse. I think this has to do with how they were cut and the corner ends kinda just rub into the mouse pad causing this sound. I just used a piece of scotch tape to remedy this and its been perfect. I guess if you feel daring you could remove them and sandpaper all the corners or something and you will get no issues but I don't like removing feet in fear of them not sticking back on.

The mouse is great tho in all those areas and you will love the scroll wheel. Oh, and one other grip I have. The metal on it, well its kinda pointy so when you are doing some intense gaming you will somewhat angle your mouse and you will feel some resistence. A little weird actually. They tapered the back of the mouse but not the sides so if you constantly lift and readjust your mouse, you may have to get used to the metal parts kinda digging slightly into your pad, thus causing some resistance. This only happens to me when I am playing intense fps games or fast paced games.

Other than those 2 gripes, the mouse has been great. It is on the heavy side, but I am used to that cause I always put full weights in my mice. There is a lot of buttons and I gotta say. You def won't use all of them. I currently just use 3-4 lol out of 16. I know sounds silly but I didn't want to spend all the time in programing all the buttons to use sometimes.

The software is "OK" not great but not bad either. It is kinda weird to program the buttons but you can get it down. The hardware accel is not as bad as people make it out to be, you can turn off those added features and angle snapping to really help reduce the extra acel.

Surface height is misleading. Some people seem to get an inch out of it. I only got like 1mm of height out of it before it doesn't see the pad anymore. Which is strange considering you can adjust the height and I would like a taller height for fast paced games. The DPI is insane too. I can't realistically see you going over 2k for most games unless you have like a 40" or a 3 monitor setup.

You can turn the lightts off and oh there is a sniper button for the m95. Don't let that be the big seller for the m65 cause it is also on the m95. Just you can make it any button you want and the software shows it as "sniper button". It sounds cool at first but honestly. I don't use it. lol

Hope this helps. It is a solid mouse besides my couple gripes.
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS