This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trouble With Switching Over

#1Sir_ZacharyPosted 8/26/2013 4:39:47 PM
Hey guys

I just had a question that I could use an answer to. After being a console gamer my whole life, I'm pretty sure I'm ready to switch over exclusively to PC. What with the games being way cheaper (thanks Steam!) better graphics, and the whole mod-support scene...it just makes more sense to go with a gaming PC instead on a next-gen console. My question is this, for those of you who also came from consoles...how do you get over it? PC has way more advantages, but it's still going to suck missing out on console exclusives. And no, I don't have money to do both. Also, being new to the whole PC gaming scene, how hard is it to learn about upgrading and making your own PC? From what I've been reading it seems difficult and over my head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
#2TimePharaohPosted 8/26/2013 4:43:54 PM
Probably the same way you lived without the thousands of PC exclusives during your time as filthy peasant? Derp
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#3PyrotechnixxxPosted 8/26/2013 4:47:57 PM
Most of my friends were PC gamers already, so it wasn't hard for me to switch over. I don't really miss console exclusives because most games are simply better on a capable PC, and there are far more PC exclusives than console exclusives.

To start off, you should pick a budget. Take your time and research parts and builds. Look at benchmarks for GPU and CPU, look at other people's builds, watch tutorials until you have a solid working knowledge of what numbers are important in part specifications. Do not rush your first build or you'll end up throwing your money away. Plenty of people will help you pick out your build, (myself included) but take any advice with a large grain of salt. Get the best performance you can for your budget, and buy all your parts at once. Assemble it and enjoy! Newegg has a great series of YouTube videos that go over the entire process.
---
Fear is a leash.
#4Sir_Zachary(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 4:48:16 PM
Not playing on PC growing up, I didn't know what I was missing. However, going with PC now I will know what I'm missing, like Uncharted, God of War, iNFAMOUS, Resistance and other exclusives I've come to love.
#5Sir_Zachary(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 4:51:11 PM
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
Most of my friends were PC gamers already, so it wasn't hard for me to switch over. I don't really miss console exclusives because most games are simply better on a capable PC, and there are far more PC exclusives than console exclusives.

To start off, you should pick a budget. Take your time and research parts and builds. Look at benchmarks for GPU and CPU, look at other people's builds, watch tutorials until you have a solid working knowledge of what numbers are important in part specifications. Do not rush your first build or you'll end up throwing your money away. Plenty of people will help you pick out your build, (myself included) but take any advice with a large grain of salt. Get the best performance you can for your budget, and buy all your parts at once. Assemble it and enjoy! Newegg has a great series of YouTube videos that go over the entire process.

Thank you, Pyrotechnixx! I think it's just seeing everyone throw out numbers and stuff everywhere seems sort of jarring to me after coming from consoles where I didn't have to worry about it. I think it's going to just be something I'm going to have to study. Thanks for the help!
#6TheFeshPincePosted 8/26/2013 4:52:26 PM
0/10
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#7thatauthorPosted 8/26/2013 4:52:32 PM
I can't really help with the building, but there other things I can:

you can use a controller for most newer games can be played with a controller. I know the X360 controller works well(as I use one). wired ones work out of the box; wireless need a receiver. older games and a PS3 controller can work with something like motioninjoy/xpadder/etc. I dunno about other controllers though.

game bundles(the majority of which are indie games; there are rare developer bundles) are awesome. you can get a bunch of games for as little as $1. some bundles have a thing that's called beat the average that gets even more games for like $4-7. for example, the humble origin bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/

it's one of the developer bundles(in this case EA). for $1, you get the games on the top. for $4.91, you get the last bottom four. in this case, you get origin keys for everything except The Sims 3 and steam keys for the games that are on steam. some bundles(like most indie ones) usually have DRM free versions. Humble Bundle also usually updates the games around half way(usually around day 7 since they usully last for 14 days) and if you buy the cheaper bundle, you get the added games(in this case C&C3 and Populous).
---
BBBAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW ~ Para
#8thatfool12GsPosted 8/26/2013 4:59:18 PM
I was in the same boat as you a year ago.

I found myself playing on my 360 and constantly opening the TV's video settings, trying to make the graphics look better. I realized it wasn't the TV, it was the crappy console.

I started pricing Alienware, gaming laptops, and pre-builts, and realized they were all too expensive. I decided the best way to go was to study up on building one, and order a few parts at a time.

Best gaming related decision I've made. Not only was the experience of building the PC fun and rewarding, I now have a skill that has made me some extra cash here and there fixing people's PC's. Like you said, Steam's cheap prices have also allowed me to recoup some of the cost of the PC on savings.

I can't imagine being stuck with crap "nickel and dime" DLC packs as the freedom of modding is one of the best features of PC gaming. I literally spend more hours modding and rebooting Skyrim than actually playing the game.

After a month of PC gaming consoles will be an afterthought. In my opinion this will include the next gen crap. Sure, a few exclusives will come along and I'd like to be able to play them, but if I was gonna 4-5 hundred on more tech, it would be on a second graphics card.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU