This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to get a new computer (PC or Laptop), but need opinions.

#1Fabled_GamerPosted 8/26/2013 7:37:01 PM
I'm a gamer and a student, and my current desktop is about 8 years old but still chugging along (albeit some major slowdowns) and I have a slightly newer laptop (HP Touchsmart model) that is a resource hog, with a CPU that overheats quite frequently.

I'm looking to finally get a new computer in the "Not-completely-top-of-the-line-expensive-but-also-not-cheap" range. However, I'm torn. I could use a new laptop for school, but I know that a desktop tends to be cheaper, and usually more powerful.

If I went the desktop route, I see myself in the future, getting a cheap netbook or something for school which together may total the price I could spend on a single laptop that does everything.

Also in terms of laptops, I prefer larger screen sizes, and with the graphical capability of say, playing Skyrim on max settings (with mods), and a backlit keyboard is a plus, too. However, I'm not too familiar with the laptop gaming market, so I wouldn't know the difference in some models.

Can anyone offer any opinions on to whether I should get a new laptop, or desktop? And if anyone knows a decent priced laptop that may fit my needs? Thanks!
---
FaceBook: www.facebook.com/wild.wild.west42
XBL GT: WildWildWest42
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/26/2013 7:42:25 PM
A desktop of $500-600 can handle Skyrim at medium-high with framerate over 30.

A laptop at $1000 can handle Skyrim at medium with a framerate over 30.

I built my system for $510 and reused my old windows key and hard drive. This was a year ago. Since then, my graphics card has dropped $50, which covers a hard drive or an upgrade from an i3 to an i5.

Really, just go for a desktop now and, in 6 months or so, grab yourself a $400, 15 inch laptop for taking notes and such on.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#3Mega_TyrantPosted 8/26/2013 8:06:23 PM
Here's my experience so far.

I've owned 4 laptops so far. All business class laptops 3 HPs (elitebooks), 1 Lenovo either way they're not cheap. The first HP suffered from hardware and was prone overheating (I ended up having to make several warranty claims over the course of 1 year and ultimately replaced it with an upgrade to HP next refresh (laptop 2). The second one fared better but ultimately developed a screen issue and a power adapter connection issue and some wear and tear, that one was replaced with my current HP refresh which is doing much better.

I've also owned 2 PCs and am currently building a 3rd Gaming/HTPC mini-ITX build. Both have served me well with little issue save the first developed heat issues due to poor GPU cooling design.

As for you my recommendations depend on you situation and what kind of trade-offs you're willing to make. Assign Weights based on your needs/wants and go with whichever comes out on top.

Performance
Desktop>Laptop

Portability
Laptop>Desktop

Durability
Desktop>Laptop

Space Conservation
Laptop>Desktop

Cost Savings
Desktop>Laptop
---
Bludgeo'd for hammer...
#4TimePharaohPosted 8/26/2013 8:43:57 PM
Fabled_Gamer posted...
Also in terms of laptops, I prefer larger screen sizes, and with the graphical capability of say, playing Skyrim on max settings (with mods), and a backlit keyboard is a plus, too. However, I'm not too familiar with the laptop gaming market, so I wouldn't know the difference in some models.

And if anyone knows a decent priced laptop that may fit my needs? Thanks!

I loled
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#5Fabled_Gamer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 8:56:59 PM
Thanks to most of you so far for the productive answers. Another factor is that I don't do all my gaming on PC, (however I might, pending on the new rig I setup) but I'm also currently living in a cramped apartment, so being able to save some space and not use a desktop is a plus.

I think ultimately, deep down, I really want a laptop to work out better and out-weigh the pros of the desktop, but it still just doesn't feel very viable to do so (financially, anyways). Gahhh, I'm so torn!!!
---
#6YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/26/2013 9:12:16 PM
Won't nearly do skyrim on medium or high, but it's smaller than a 360 <.<

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mini-itx-do-it-yourself-game-console,3531.html
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#7VIP86Posted 8/26/2013 9:15:45 PM
Fabled_Gamer posted...
Thanks to most of you so far for the productive answers. Another factor is that I don't do all my gaming on PC, (however I might, pending on the new rig I setup) but I'm also currently living in a cramped apartment, so being able to save some space and not use a desktop is a plus.

I think ultimately, deep down, I really want a laptop to work out better and out-weigh the pros of the desktop, but it still just doesn't feel very viable to do so (financially, anyways). Gahhh, I'm so torn!!!

You can build yourself a small desktop. Bitfenix, LianLi, and Silverstone make mini itx cases.
---
DESKTOP--i5-3570K| ASUS P8Z77-V| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 400R| INTEL 520 180GB| NOCTUA NH-D14| CORSAIR AX750
#8LaMichael_JamesPosted 8/26/2013 9:26:40 PM
you will have to drop at least $800 after taxes for a laptop that can play games at medium/high settings

if you're just playing dota or league of legends, a $500 laptop can manage at low settings off integrated graphics
---
GOAT
#9Fabled_Gamer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 11:34:28 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

What are your opinions on this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314146&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Laptops+%2f+Notebooks-_-N82E16834314146&gclid=CJ33l6WAnbkCFYtDMgodED4A2g

This is probably one of the best ones I've found.
---
#10TimePharaohPosted 8/26/2013 11:40:29 PM
I loled. Sure. If your idea of "maxed" is sub 20fps.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Benchmarks.66057.0.html

Without mods (hope you don't want graphic mods, or any that actually add anything? Maybe a mob that takes out trees?)
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png