This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is it considered pirating a game if....

#11steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 9:37:07 PM
Ghennkins posted...
They'd see it as you bought 1 and stole another.

Careful pirating. Especially triple A titles. Lots of torrents are flagged and monitored. Wouldn't be surprised if your ISP got a notice from some copyright watchdog group hunting for people to financially ruin. Better off not risking it. Especially if you already bought the game.

I would only do it if I bought the game. just dont feel like dealing with the drm
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#12RequiemPosted 8/26/2013 9:43:41 PM
Legally, it's pretty difficult to persecute someone for downloading a file (game, music, movies, etc etc) precisely because of the claim "I already own a copy". It gets into a messy legal fight that companies would rather avoid.

What does get someone in trouble is distributing the file. By the very nature of P2P (torrent or otherwise), a person is distributing the file the same time he is downloading it. So while you may claim that you may have the right to download a game that you already own, you cannot make a similar claim that you have a right to give away multiple copies of that game.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#13Knight2520Posted 8/26/2013 10:02:18 PM
Or you can just download a crack, instead of the entire game AGAIN
to me that's no different than simulating a console game on PC, which people here think it's perfectly legal

Not the same thing.
---
Internet Explorer 8 isn't loading when I click on it. - Cedoda
That's completely normal. - tuff
#14PanopictonguyPosted 8/26/2013 10:06:08 PM
I don't believe that's pirating. Pirating would be acquiring a licensed product without permission to use I or Distributing a licensed property without permission to do so.

Once you purchase the right to use a license I'm pretty you can legally acquire the digital product by any means as long as you are not copying and distributing it with your permission to use it.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#15Knight2520Posted 8/26/2013 10:18:34 PM
I don't believe that's pirating. Pirating would be acquiring a licensed product without permission to use I or Distributing a licensed property without permission to do so.

Once you purchase the right to use a license I'm pretty you can legally acquire the digital product by any means as long as you are not copying and distributing it with your permission to use it.

Do you understand how BitTorrent works?
---
Internet Explorer 8 isn't loading when I click on it. - Cedoda
That's completely normal. - tuff
#16Lemur_HPosted 8/26/2013 10:36:38 PM
Panopictonguy posted...

Your beliefs are irrelevant.

You torrent a game that is not intended to be free. Piracy.

They people looking to prosecute don't give a damn if you legally own the game or not.
#17dioxxysPosted 8/26/2013 10:42:50 PM
lol i dont want to even post my beliefs here because its moddable
#18sknmakPosted 8/26/2013 10:44:29 PM
steveboblarry posted...
Lets say that you pay for mass effect 3 but, instead of going through Origin to get it,you download the game through a site like pirate bay so its drm free. would it still be considered pirating.

Well that's how some gamers I know think, but in the end that is piracy in the company eyes. Seeding is what they [publishers\companies\developers] are afraid of the most and that's the main point of torrents [well one of them]. As someone suggested above why not just download the game legally and use a crack [if possible] so you won't have to rely on the Origin client.

Of course Piracy isn't going to stop and it's not limited to just video games and PC. Paying, downloading then using a crack is probably your best bet.
---
NEW Video Game Remakes Uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/user/sknocturnal
#19steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 10:53:32 PM
sknmak posted...
steveboblarry posted...
Lets say that you pay for mass effect 3 but, instead of going through Origin to get it,you download the game through a site like pirate bay so its drm free. would it still be considered pirating.

Well that's how some gamers I know think, but in the end that is piracy in the company eyes. Seeding is what they [publishers\companies\developers] are afraid of the most and that's the main point of torrents [well one of them]. As someone suggested above why not just download the game legally and use a crack [if possible] so you won't have to rely on the Origin client.

Of course Piracy isn't going to stop and it's not limited to just video games and PC. Paying, downloading then using a crack is probably your best bet.

I thought I would have to download the game directly from origin?
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#20SlaynPosted 8/27/2013 12:31:03 AM
Does it really matter? It is all about what you feel. You are not going to get caught downloading the game. Shades of grey, when it pertains to piracy, is all about your own conscience. Don't ask questions like "is this technically piracy" because 99% of the time it is. Hey, I forgot to record The Walking Dead but I have AMC! If I pirate this, does it still count? Yes. I own a Wii and Xenoblade Chronicles, if I use an emulator and play it with better graphics, is this piracy? Yes.

Do you really care? Do you feel guilty? If not, do it. Although I don't see what the big deal with Origin is. Launch ME3, it sits in the background. GG. Don't have it start up automatically. I actually found the multi player in ME3 better than the single player...
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116