This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is it considered pirating a game if....

#21steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 11:34:46 PM
Big deal with Origin is EA but thats a whole different conversation, I dont really see it as pirating since they get my money one way or another. I was just curious what other pc gamers thought
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#22KotomineKireiPosted 8/26/2013 11:34:59 PM
From Wiktionary:

pirate

Verb

2. (transitive, intellectual property) To create and/or sell an unauthorized copy of
3. (transitive, intellectual property) To knowingly obtain an unauthorized copy of

If you download an unauthorized copy of the game, it's piracy.
If you create and/or sell an unauthorized copy of the game, it's piracy.

Despite the ill informed users of this site, bypassing restrictions on software is not piracy, and it is actually an entirely different situation with its own term.

Also, torrents are not exclusive to piracy, as they can be used to distribute authorized, free copies of software and other digital items from the developer to others.
There is also(albeit unlikely) the case that torrents could be used by developers to distribute purchased items to customers.
---
"EVENT ENDED!"
---
#23steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 11:36:14 PM
ooooo fate stay night fan
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#24TwinqePosted 8/27/2013 2:53:59 AM
Slayn posted...
. I own a Wii and Xenoblade Chronicles, if I use an emulator and play it with better graphics, is this piracy? Yes.

Actually, emulation itself is not illegal or piracy. Assuming you make the ROM of the game yourself, it's 100% legitimate. Downloading the ROM from a website (what pretty much everyone does) is the illegal part. Pirating only refers to downloading things for free.

To the TC: Yes, that is piracy, but in my opinion it is not wrong. I am in favor of some piracy, such as what you have posted. I am against piracy which consists of downloading something you've never paid for. I acknowledge that both are illegal, but I disagree with how the law stands in this case.
---
3DS FC: 4511-1880-0614 | Steam: Twinqe
#25PanopictonguyPosted 8/27/2013 4:35:12 AM
Knight2520 posted...
I don't believe that's pirating. Pirating would be acquiring a licensed product without permission to use I or Distributing a licensed property without permission to do so.

Once you purchase the right to use a license I'm pretty you can legally acquire the digital product by any means as long as you are not copying and distributing it with your permission to use it.

Do you understand how BitTorrent works?

I understand how Bit Torrent works. You don't necessarily have to acquire a game through that and even if you do, you don't have to share what you're downloading.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#26PanopictonguyPosted 8/27/2013 4:39:06 AM
Lemur_H posted...
Panopictonguy posted...
I don't believe that's pirating. Pirating would be acquiring a licensed product without permission to use I or Distributing a licensed property without permission to do so.

Once you purchase the right to use a license I'm pretty you can legally acquire the digital product by any means as long as you are not copying and distributing it with your permission to use it.

Your beliefs are irrelevant.

You torrent a game that is not intended to be free. Piracy.

They people looking to prosecute don't give a damn if you legally own the game or not.

The person person distributing licensed material is at fault. Not the person who owns said licensed material.

If you own whatever is necessary to activate or play the game you own the right to play it however you acquire it.

Should it be illegal to download copies of Windows when you have a key to activate it?
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#27Ch3wyPosted 8/27/2013 4:44:02 AM
If you don't allow people to upload it from you, then I'd bet it could hold up in court as not being piracy. Not that you'd be charged in the first place.

It's not like you're going into a store and stealing a copy. You're just copying digital data that you already own a license to, just like you would be if you were installing it from a CD or downloading it from their software.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#28reincarnator07Posted 8/27/2013 5:00:29 AM
What is so bad about Origin that you are willing to pirate a game you've paid for to get around it? I could understand not wanting to support EA, but there is nothing wrong with Origin.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#29MarceloSampaioPosted 8/27/2013 5:05:50 AM
Panopictonguy posted...
Knight2520 posted...

Do you understand how BitTorrent works?

I understand how Bit Torrent works. You don't necessarily have to acquire a game through that and even if you do, you don't have to share what you're downloading.

But you ARE sharing with others. Piece by piece. Unless you set your upload to zero, people WILL download from you the same way you are downloading from other people. Some torrent clients actually still send data to others, even if you set upload to zero, and some trackers may ban you if you download something while your upload is set to zero.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mAjXr0l.jpg
Evolution of the dungeons in the Elder Scrolls game (from Daggerfall onwards)... ES 6 dungeons will be strait lines, I guess...
#30MuhammadJAPosted 8/27/2013 5:18:39 AM
LOL! "I payed money, but I'll just torrent the game to have more freedom". Oh please, why bother paying when you can get the software for free? And secondly, what prove you have that you spent the money on said game? Oh yeah, nothing. Just say what you want and hope everyone believe you.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, home of the Drama Queens.
Where you can get modded for stating your opinion.