This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is it considered pirating a game if....

#81JKatarnPosted 8/27/2013 1:24:14 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
I don't believe that's pirating. Pirating would be acquiring a licensed product without permission to use I or Distributing a licensed property without permission to do so.

Once you purchase the right to use a license I'm pretty you can legally acquire the digital product by any means as long as you are not copying and distributing it with your permission to use it.

No, you pay for a specific license key. When you download a game illegally, you are downloading a copy of a copy of a copy of someone's unique, legally licensed key - you have the right to play the game with your legally purchased key/on the service it resides, not a copy of a copy of a copy of god knows who's key.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#82Ch3wyPosted 8/27/2013 1:28:22 PM
JKatarn posted...
Panopictonguy posted...
I don't believe that's pirating. Pirating would be acquiring a licensed product without permission to use I or Distributing a licensed property without permission to do so.

Once you purchase the right to use a license I'm pretty you can legally acquire the digital product by any means as long as you are not copying and distributing it with your permission to use it.

No, you pay for a specific license key. When you download a game illegally, you are downloading a copy of a copy of a copy of someone's unique, legally licensed key - you have the right to play the game with your legally purchased key/on the service it resides, not a copy of a copy of a copy of god knows who's key.

The game's data isn't unique.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#83JKatarnPosted 8/27/2013 2:15:43 PM
paramite12 posted...
Does it matter? I feel that if I already bought the game at one point I own it so I can play it how I want to. I really don't care what the "law" says. The "law" does not form my basis for morality and I would highly recommend others to do the same. The law is a system of control so guys with guns can show up to your house and murder you or kidnap you and throw you in a cage without repercussions if you do something some rich guys don't like. That's my perspective on it at least.

Make up your own mind, you don't need our validation for doing it. People need to what they feel is right, not what the crowd feels is right.

The law exists so people can't murder, rape, steal etc. with impunity - just because you don't like the fact that there may be repercussions for leeching media you didn't pay the legal license for doesn't mean that all police are out to get you.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#84steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 2:19:11 PM
Hmmm if only pc gaming could be like console gaming in that one aspect.
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#85Master_BassPosted 8/27/2013 2:48:46 PM
Panopictonguy posted...

Should it be illegal to download copies of Windows when you have a key to activate it?

It isn't illegal. You can find legal ISOs of trial copies.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#86CyrusVPosted 8/27/2013 3:05:49 PM
DerPancake posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
Yes, it's still pirating, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Its still against the law.

Right, but the law does not represent mores.

Pretty much this. It's legally wrong, morally ambiguous.

Actually because it's EA I'm going to say morally right. Because LOL EA.