This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

critique my build!

#1GTL581Posted 8/26/2013 9:47:34 PM
please.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wiND

would be waiting to purchase until new amd cards revealed, if for nothing more than a potential price drop on these cards. also looking to xfire at some point in the future when things start to slow down a little. i aim to play pretty much any game at near max settings it not fully maxed. would like the best advice you could give me on maybe better choices or more efficient parts for the money. not really looking to spend much more than this
#2sknmakPosted 8/26/2013 9:50:56 PM
Does it have to be AMD? No love for Intel? Also what's your budget.
---
NEW Video Game Remakes Uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/user/sknocturnal
#3GTL581(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 9:56:02 PM
Amd just seems to offer better performance for the price in my eyes, though i'm well aware the generally intel/nvidia offer better quality and more sound drivers overall. I'd rather not go over 850, as i also need to buy a new monitor. I really have no bias one way or the other, if you can point me to an intel chip or nvidia card that will yield the same results or better for the price then i'm sold.
#4GreenMage7Posted 8/26/2013 10:06:48 PM
GTL581 posted...
Amd just seems to offer better performance for the price in my eyes, though i'm well aware the generally intel/nvidia offer better quality and more sound drivers overall. I'd rather not go over 850, as i also need to buy a new monitor. I really have no bias one way or the other, if you can point me to an intel chip or nvidia card that will yield the same results or better for the price then i'm sold.

Nvidia card no, Intel processor maybe. Can you actually list the things you intend on using the computer for? Also, the 8320 is more efficient than the Bulldozer alternative and around the same price.
#5GTL581(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 10:24:42 PM
need the power mainly for gaming. for right now looking at running games like metro, witcher 2, maybe crysis 3 and other high graphic intensive games (in the future bf4 and witcher 3, etc.); but also some cpu intensive things like emulation. other than that i'll only be doing a lot of programming and whatnot, but that won't be until the spring semester most likely. i plan on running three monitors, so i will most likely have lots of windows/programs open most of the time and need it to run fairly smoothly and not get bogged down easily.
#6sknmakPosted 8/26/2013 10:34:25 PM(edited)
Well the Intel build would be about $100 more for the parts I will recommend. Otherwise I'd have to cheap out. I did make some modifications to your AMD build.

Here are my recommendations [bold]:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wJZb
Total: $848.90

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB Twin Frozr Overclocked Free 3 games w/ purchase, limited offer
NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I left your Motherboard, CPU Cooler and DVD/CD writer alone. Switch pretty much everything else. Of course you can change the case if you want to. Better CPU, better GPU, saved you some money on the power supply. You do whatever you want to the memory. I just recommended something different. Of course you can change whatever you want, but for gaming I don't see you going wrong with this build. Let me know what you think.
---
#7GTL581(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 10:47:33 PM
Oh wow. Thank you so much! I was amazed by the price for all of that until i saw that you saved $40 on the case. I'm a sucker for anything with a side panel and front grill with an led fan :p Not a big deal though, cosmetics won't affect performance. I am really liking the build. Seriously, thank you.
#8sknmakPosted 8/26/2013 10:54:33 PM
No problem at all man. I don't see you going wrong with this build. However remember that it is YOUR build so you can pretty much do what you want with it. Have fun and be sure to come back and post pictures here.
---
#9Mogu_MoguPosted 8/27/2013 3:31:31 AM
-cheaper PSU
-cheaper case, Rosewill has a nice 50 dollar one that comes with three fans (one front, one top, one back) and nice HDD cages, yay
-consider a cheaper CPU as well...

That's about it that I can critique. Don't forget mouse, keyboard, monitor, OS.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#10ZeraphLordSPosted 8/27/2013 4:11:34 AM
If you're doing emulation, then you want Intel. Not much hope compromising there.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs