This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

critique my build!

#11aak57Posted 8/27/2013 5:19:45 AM
GTL581 posted...
would be waiting to purchase until new amd cards revealed, if for nothing more than a potential price drop on these cards.

Cards don't really drop in price very much when a new gen comes out. You'd be better off just buying whatever comes out at the price you were planning to pay.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#12gastamanPosted 8/27/2013 9:15:32 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wQAQ

Best I could do on my phone, in regards to an Intel build. Couldn't find many reviews on the motherboard, but it should be fine (shrug). Maybe add another $20-$40 for a higher quality motherboard, if possible.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#13Sergei_DukanovPosted 8/27/2013 9:28:05 AM
careful with the MSI 970-46A. I just replaced mine because quite a few of them dont fully support 125w. If you overclock the cpu, then you really cut the life of the mobo. One of the asus ones will work great with it. But the 990 fx mobos are recommended.
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice." Gamer Tag: XT356
#14Fade2black001Posted 8/27/2013 9:35:27 AM
sknmak posted...
Well the Intel build would be about $100 more for the parts I will recommend. Otherwise I'd have to cheap out. I did make some modifications to your AMD build.

Here are my recommendations [bold]:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wJZb
Total: $848.90

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB Twin Frozr Overclocked Free 3 games w/ purchase, limited offer
NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I left your Motherboard, CPU Cooler and DVD/CD writer alone. Switch pretty much everything else. Of course you can change the case if you want to. Better CPU, better GPU, saved you some money on the power supply. You do whatever you want to the memory. I just recommended something different. Of course you can change whatever you want, but for gaming I don't see you going wrong with this build. Let me know what you think.

Don't get that case. I have the elite version of that case and the only pro to it is that is has good air flow to it. The case is small and cramped. I wouldn't suggest it.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#15GTL581(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 9:57:54 AM
I already have os, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc. As well as two monitors, but i am buying a new one with this build hence why i'm trying to keep the computer itself under 850. Would the rosewill case mentioned be the challenger? I looked into that and it looked really nice, but i've read some things about larger cards being somewhat of a pain in it, that's my only concern. Anyone have suggestion for a case under 50 that would definitely fit two 7970s?

Just curious, but what's the problem with emulation on amd chips? I don't want to make it seem like i do it a lot, it's only every once in a while. I mentioned it because i figured next to actual gaming it was one of the more taxing things i would do.

As for the cards not dropping in price, i guess i'll be getting this sooner than i hoped. Thanks.

That intel build looks pretty nice, and definitely slimmed down the price more than i thought it would go. But with that build, if i replaced the intel chip and motherboard with what i originally had i got the price down to 800, which is a lot more appealing especially for the original build i had but with a better video card. Is going intel going to really be THAT much more worth the extra $60?

With the motherboard, if i don't overclock would i be okay? And is there any way to tell if it will handle 125w before getting it or is it just hope that it can?
#16Sergei_DukanovPosted 8/27/2013 10:32:14 AM
GTL581 posted...
I already have os, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc. As well as two monitors, but i am buying a new one with this build hence why i'm trying to keep the computer itself under 850. Would the rosewill case mentioned be the challenger? I looked into that and it looked really nice, but i've read some things about larger cards being somewhat of a pain in it, that's my only concern. Anyone have suggestion for a case under 50 that would definitely fit two 7970s?

Just curious, but what's the problem with emulation on amd chips? I don't want to make it seem like i do it a lot, it's only every once in a while. I mentioned it because i figured next to actual gaming it was one of the more taxing things i would do.

As for the cards not dropping in price, i guess i'll be getting this sooner than i hoped. Thanks.

That intel build looks pretty nice, and definitely slimmed down the price more than i thought it would go. But with that build, if i replaced the intel chip and motherboard with what i originally had i got the price down to 800, which is a lot more appealing especially for the original build i had but with a better video card. Is going intel going to really be THAT much more worth the extra $60?

With the motherboard, if i don't overclock would i be okay? And is there any way to tell if it will handle 125w before getting it or is it just hope that it can?

they said it handles 125W when I bought it months ago, but people been having problems with them. I didnt and I had it running on 4.3ghz for 3 months with no issues. But since MSI pulled the 125w rating from their own website, just be carefull. ASUS has a good inexpensive one, but I cant remember what it is.
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice." Gamer Tag: XT356
#17ZeraphLordSPosted 8/27/2013 10:22:06 PM
GTL581 posted...

AMD processors aren't as powerful as Intel when it comes down to raw power; that is, 3.4GHz on an intel 4670k will perform more tasks within a given timeframe than 3.5GHz on an equal-cored AMD. A GHz on an AMD processor isn't equal to a GHz on an Intel (this applies to different architectures within the companies too, AMD hit a misstep when one of it's processors turned out worse per GHz than their last series).

There's not only that, but emulation doesn't care about the number of cores (where AMD holds an advantage), but only their pure power.

Not getting Intel cuts off a portion of the Wii/GC library if that's your thing (and it is the best thing atm). I don't really know how the PS2 scene is atm, but it reacts to AMD vs Intel in the same fashion.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#18Snuckie7Posted 8/27/2013 10:34:06 PM
gastaman posted...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wQAQ

Best I could do on my phone, in regards to an Intel build. Couldn't find many reviews on the motherboard, but it should be fine (shrug). Maybe add another $20-$40 for a higher quality motherboard, if possible.

Now there's a damn good build for $850.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W