This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Oh wow. That lower ping made all the difference, (Blogfaqs thread)

#1AlkVelronPosted 8/27/2013 5:23:32 AM
I've always had issue enjoying multiplayer games, mostly due to my connection. For years I had 2Mb/s down and 0.3Mb up. It was, of course, absolutely horrible. There were so many moments where I would pump tons of rounds into a guy but then he'd open fire and instantly put me down, or a hunter in L4D2 would pounce a spot 6 feet away and somehow get me, or in Minecraft servers a wandering creeper suddenly super-speeds next to me and murders me. Usually my ping ranged from 150 (if I was blessed by the tech gods that day) to 300+.

Well, I've moved and now have 12Mb down and 3 up. Still not amazing, but a hell of a lot better than what it was. But amazingly the ping is strangely very, very low. I finally decided to give it a try in Battlefield 3, where my ping was 19 to the server, and I was completely blown away by the difference. Is this what I've been missing out on? Other players actually die when I shoot a ton of rounds into them, and one-on-one gun fights don't end in me dying 95% of the time. I'm not running and randomly dying from some unseen forces; rockets weren't teleporting to my feet and blowing me up. It's amazing, and actually really dang fun now.

There's not much of a point to this topic. I'm just really happy and appreciate of this. Anyone have similar experiences?
---
XBL/PSN/STEAM Account Name - NEREVAR117
"If this is the chosen way, then there's nothing left to say."
#2SmoboHashPosted 8/27/2013 5:51:40 AM
play at LAN events for competitive games. It feels like a whole new experience from what I've heard.
#3ShubPosted 8/27/2013 5:55:39 AM
I think something was wrong with your previous ISP that caused you to have such latency. The bandwidth you had was adequate for gaming. If your bandwidth is low enough (think dial-up bandwidth), then certainly your latency suffers, but you should not have had issues with your ping.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4Mystical_NEETPosted 8/27/2013 5:57:21 AM
I got that feeling after playing Black Ops on my desktop vs. a laptop. Also I was using a mouse instead of a controller, and wired internet vs. wireless.

It was like evolving into Raichu.
#5Erg0nPosted 8/27/2013 6:09:28 AM
SmoboHash posted...
play at LAN events for competitive games. It feels like a whole new experience from what I've heard.

yeah LAN parties are pretty fun depending on who you play with.
#6THEB0SS666Posted 8/27/2013 6:36:09 AM
Your ping increases if someone else is doing something while your online. Why is that?
---
dell xps 7100 gtx 660sc 8gb ram amd phenom x6 1045t 3.2ghz 1.5tbhdd
Moderators are filthy disgusting creatures.
#7JonWood007Posted 8/27/2013 6:46:23 AM
Shub posted...
I think something was wrong with your previous ISP that caused you to have such latency. The bandwidth you had was adequate for gaming. If your bandwidth is low enough (think dial-up bandwidth), then certainly your latency suffers, but you should not have had issues with your ping.

This, I had a 0.7/0.3 connection last time around in practice and I could game on it fine. Were you using satellite or something?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#8ShubPosted 8/27/2013 6:48:44 AM
THEB0SS666 posted...
Your ping increases if someone else is doing something while your online. Why is that?

They're using bandwidth, so you have less for your gaming, and so latency suffers.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9AlkVelron(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 7:48:07 AM(edited)
It wasn't satellite. It was just a really, really crappy ISP out in the country: Windstream. It was all that was available. I think they throttled my connection regularly too.
---
XBL/PSN/STEAM Account Name - NEREVAR117
"If this is the chosen way, then there's nothing left to say."
#10The_Mighty_QuinPosted 8/27/2013 7:23:00 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
I got that feeling after playing Black Ops on my desktop vs. a laptop. Also I was using a mouse instead of a controller, and wired internet vs. wireless.

It was like evolving into Raichu.

1. What's Raichu?

2. I thought controllers were better for videogames.