This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone have any insight on this pricing scheme?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does anyone have any insight on this pricing scheme?
2 years ago#1
I mishandled my laptop and sort of broke the LCD. So I looked into the cost of getting it repaired.

Buying the part on eBay: $60 - not surprising it's cheap, because it's probably a used part dealer attached to some kind of repair shop with a lot of stock.

Sending it to the manufacturer to get it repaired: $600 - not surprising for an out of warranty computer, as they don't want to deal with weird problems and/or encourage people to buy longer term warranties.

Buying the replacement part from the manufacturer: $1000 - why is this one 60% more expensive than having their service department repair it?
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
2 years ago#2
Nope, I don't get i either, you might as well get a new laptop with $600+. As for ebay, some parts may be cheap and break easily, so buyer beware.
---
xfire: alweky Raps: 34-48
Austin Era: Raptors won't win more then 25 games this season
2 years ago#3
It's almost never financially worth it to replace a broken laptop screen outside of warranty
---
i7 3770 | 8GB | Agility3 120GB SSD | 2TB HD | HD5850 | HX520w | CM Centurion 5
2 years ago#4
Not sure how that works, maybe it's special order?
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz, 24GB DDR3 1600, Evga Gtx 670 FTW.
2 years ago#5
What do you mean by "sort of" broke? Is it broken, or is it not? It may be an easy repair.
2 years ago#6
It has a vertical strip that flickers on, off, and into rainbow colors, occupying about 20% of the screen.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
2 years ago#7
You can buy new screens cheap from specialty dealers like screentek, it's just not what one would usually call a "fun" experience installing them. The prices on the manufacturer site are pretty much what they are to nail home the point that they'd prefer you not screw around with repairs and just buy a new machine instead
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
2 years ago#8
I've actually already taken it apart and put it back together. It's why I pinned the problem on the screen. The problem existed before taking it apart, so it wasn't due to improper disassembly.

But I'll give the non-official vendors a try. Thanks.
---
2 years ago#9
Maybe the manufacturer doesn't have many of that screen elft anymore? A couple years back I managed to put a hole in the oil pan on my 91 ninja 500. Took it to the shop, they called me up the next day saying they had to buy one on ebay, so I saved some money. Please note, this oil pan is the exact one they used on the 2007 model of the same bike. So after 4 years they had no repair parts for a bike that was their 2nd best seller for more than 20 years.

Now think about how much faster electronics advance than cars and motorcycles.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does anyone have any insight on this pricing scheme?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived