This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People who say "no steam, no buy" must be joking, right?

#21ShadowThaReaperPosted 8/29/2013 1:51:14 PM
Dirk85UK posted...
Why deprive yourself of good games, just because it isn't available on a DRM platform. lol

You must not play very many games.

Because there are thousands of good games you are always depriving yourself of. One filter is just as good as any other. Who are you to say otherwise? There's not enough time in the world to play them all.
#22SlaynPosted 8/29/2013 2:21:00 PM
I bought FTL on GOG. I would have rather purchased it off Steam so I could download it on multiple computers easily. I have learned my lesson. No Steam no buy.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#23TimePharaohPosted 8/29/2013 2:23:24 PM
Slayn posted...
I bought FTL on GOG. I would have rather purchased it off Steam so I could download it on multiple computers easily. I have learned my lesson. No Steam no buy.

Log on to GOG account on new computer
Download it
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#24_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/29/2013 2:36:16 PM(edited)
I think it is dumb. Why give one publisher even more control than they already have. If they think this is good for the industry they are mistaken , even if the business model that Steam pioneered, and the popularity and quality of their download service has an undeniable positive effect on PC gaming.

The better sentence would be "No free distribution no buy" and by that I mean, stand alone or on any other download service. Though you can obviously see the logic behind limiting a game's release to only one service. The way things are going now, smaller publishers will disappear (hell, they already have) and there will only be a few big publishers that keep their AAA titles exclusive to their service, paying 3rd party developers to keep a title exclusive to their service and only some independently made titles being freely distributed. In fact, this is what is largely already happening.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#25Knighted DragonPosted 8/29/2013 3:40:23 PM
I rarely ever buy anything that's not on steam, it's just handy having things in one location. I've bought a few games that didn't require it in the last few years, and after reinstalling windows and building a new comp . . I never installed them because I don't even know what site I bought them on. That's why I use Steam, I can just install steam and click the big "Install" button on my games without having to worry about forgetting that I bought Stalker from some random website 5 years ago and trying to figure out where I bought it or what my account was to even login
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#26strongo9Posted 8/29/2013 3:43:53 PM
I also buy games from GMG and GOG.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#27xanthan1Posted 8/29/2013 3:51:16 PM(edited)
Because they don't get none of the games on Steam were required to use it as DRM, it's totally up to the publisher if you need Steam for anything other then downloading a game.

It's a store that CAN be used as DRM if a publisher wants to, and most do.

If you bought it somewhere else you could end up having to deal with worse much more intrusive DRM.