This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Better to wait 'til next year to start building my gaming PC?

#11_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/28/2013 12:08:41 PM(edited)
You can not win when you play the waiting game. With annual releases of components, there is always something better just around the corner.

To me, it only makes sense to wait when:
-You have something else to hold you over until then
-It is only a couple of months away at most
-You expect there to be a significant increase in performance

The reality is that no matter when you buy, it will be outdated over time, and it will only be "the newest thing out there" for a very, very short period. I just always make sure that whatever I buy, it is a good price and the component offers good performance for the price. That way, no matter what is released after I have done my build, there won't be any regret.

I would not worry too much about the new consoles that are around the corner. The current components that you can buy are already more powerful than those used in the new consoles, and the new components that will be released are likely to have the same incremental increase in performance as we see every year. There is no reason to believe that, because there are now new consoles, suddenly the new GPU's will see a 40% performance increase at every price point. That is not what happened before with previous consoles, and that is not what will happen now.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#12PathlessBulletPosted 8/28/2013 12:08:31 PM
Iminyourcloset posted...
pothocket posted...
That's the thing, by your logic you'll always be waiting until the next year.

I know it's always going to be gradually improving, but I figured if I wait for a big jump in tech (after which it would gradually increase again), I could get the best bang for my buck, so to speak. I was wondering if this hUMA was that something I could jump onto

Tech like this never makes huge jumps because then they wouldn't be able to charge you for partial upgrades each year.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#13ThescyyPosted 8/28/2013 12:08:52 PM
The only thing worth waiting for at this point is the alleged 9xxx series from AMD in the coming months, everything else you will have a good bit of time before something replaces it.
---
| i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | SeaSonic M12II 850 | Fractal design R4 |
#14godplaysSNESPosted 8/28/2013 12:32:35 PM(edited)
Cosmic_Coyote posted...
Fact is, new consoles are around the corner and of course I bet new chipsets, processors and graphic cards will need an update in the upcomming months isnīt it?

The high-end PC hardware is already more powerful than the consoles when it comes to horsepower. If one has mid-range hardware though, one'll probably need to upgrade "soon" in order to stay above console settings.

Regarding optimization, it will take years before the engines are optimal and are "maxing" out the next-gen consoles.

The consoles could of course make a radical impact on today's PC hardware, but that greatly depends on just how much of an advantage hUMA provides.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#15Iminyourcloset(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 12:37:41 PM
I may be forced to wait until May/June 2014 anyway, I only have a short while left until I start my third year of my uni course, and I'm not sure I can afford to build a massive distraction while I'm still studying.

If it weren't for uni, and college, and school, I wouldn't have bothered with the 'waiting til I can buy something better' thing since I can see the major flaw in it, but it's just that getting through those added another reason to put it off until later
---
"I think all you gotta do is find that little black kid, and doesn't that start the whole backdoor option?" -WHiTE_LickR
#16Bossdog421Posted 8/28/2013 12:45:16 PM
Usually i would say no point in waiting, it will always be better next year but things are a bit different this year.

Unless you are just upgrading I'd say wait. With the release of the next gen consoles we could see tech progress a bit quicker. If nothing else a low to mid range system right may struggle a year from now if devs actually utilize certain aspects of the consoles. A mid range system next year could be enough to chug through most of the generation.

It kinda happened like that last gen.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll