This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Please help w/getting OS onto laptop HD

#1gamer65926592Posted 8/27/2013 10:00:36 AM
So I have a perfectly functional laptop aside from the fact the last HD crashed so I bought a new one but I need an OS on it. Let's say I'm putting a free, legal to download OS like Linux on it. I have one of those things where you can hook up your HD to a computer via USB. Do I just use that and put Windows 7 on the HD and then the BIOS will detect it as bootable media with an OS on it when I start up the laptop or is there more to it than that? How do I do this? Please help! Thanks!
---
"When I meet with world leaders, what's striking -- whether it's in Europe or here in Asia..." Obama mistakenly referring to Hawaii as Asia.
#2fataliPosted 8/27/2013 10:20:22 AM
You need to install the disc in the PC that will use it, then you have to either use a win DVD or make a bootable usb with win 7 in it.

Here's a guide on how to do that.
http://youtu.be/aFJwiILbsdo
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#3CrimsonkainxPosted 8/27/2013 11:54:00 AM
Make and model? Depending on the brand you can get genuine recovery media direct from the manufacturer for around $20-$30. You could use a stock Windows disc but you'd have to download all the drivers. Or is your laptop one of the slim models that's missing an optical drive? Some companies will sell the recovery media on usb as well.
#4gamer65926592(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 1:49:32 PM
Ok guys so I think I got it. I downloaded the ISO file for the OS I want and somebody from another website directed me to use this:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

so I haven't opened the program yet but basically with the ISO file I downloaded, I plug my USB flash drive into the desktop, use that program I linked to and select the ISO file and the program will turn my flash drive into a bootable flash drive with that ISO file, right? Thanks again!
---
"When I meet with world leaders, what's striking -- whether it's in Europe or here in Asia..." Obama mistakenly referring to Hawaii as Asia.
#5daemon_danPosted 8/27/2013 1:52:28 PM
That whole, free, legal OS like Linux thing flew out the window pretty fast eh?
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."
#6gamer65926592(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 2:17:26 PM
I bought the Windows ISO instead so can someone please help me?
---
#7CacciatoPosted 8/27/2013 2:20:46 PM
gamer65926592 posted...
I bought the Windows ISO instead so can someone please help me?

If you have the ISO just burn it to a DVD. There're several guides online. I just did it last month for mine.
#8gamer65926592(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 2:44:15 PM
I don't have any blank CD/DVDs. I DO have a 16GB flash drive that I wanted to use but when I tried to copy the file to it it said something about how the file was to big or something. I looked it up online and I guess it has to do with the fact that my flash drive uses FAT32 and it needs to be NTFS. Ugh someone PLEASE help me!
---
#9CacciatoPosted 8/27/2013 2:46:14 PM
You can't go buy some DVD-Rs? You can get a 5-pack for like $5.
#10LaMichael_JamesPosted 8/27/2013 8:32:59 PM
format it to ntfs, should be an option to do that when right clicking the drive's properties
windows has iso to USB installers for the OS, just look online. 16 gb should be plenty for a win7 installer
---
GOAT