This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much better would gaming on a monitor be vs gaming on an HDTV?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much better would gaming on a monitor be vs gaming on an HDTV?

User Info: Star_Nuts

Star_Nuts
3 years ago#1
And how much would I be looking to spend on a nice monitor? I currently game on a 59'' 60hz 1080p plasma. I'm worried that moving to a smaller screen will ruin the gaming experience but it would be more comfortable gaming with a mouse and keyboard on a desk. Also, what would be the best screen size?
Not changing this sig until the Chargers win the Super Bowl - 31 Dec 2012
http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/s/san_diego_chargers-3705.gif

User Info: Son Of Spam

Son Of Spam
3 years ago#2
You're probably looking around $150 for a good 23" 1080p monitor, which is the standard nowadays.

I can't really say which one is better because it is a matter of opinion. I love playing on my 54" plasma and mostly play RTS games on my 23" monitor. I find the large TV to be a much more immersive experience.

The biggest advantage of an LCD monitor is they will have less input lag than most TVs. It isn't that big of a deal if you aren't playing competitively.

As for screen size, it depends on the resolution you want. For 1080p, 23-24" is the standard size. If you get a 27" monitor, it would be best to get one with a 1440p resolution.

User Info: TheWayOfTheGun

TheWayOfTheGun
3 years ago#3
I have both a 55in Panny VT50 plasma and a 27in Crossover 1440p monitor side by side with my PC hooked up to both so I have a decent opinion to share.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx145/IceThatJaw/photobucket-35457-1364991459362_zps8e7b87b4.jpg

Basically, 1440p brings out a ridiculous amount of detail, especially on a 27in screen from 3 feet away. That being said, the VT50 has far superior color accuracy and shadow detail over any monitor on the market so I pretty much always play on it since I am able to see incredible shadow detail in games Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, and Metro:Last Light which have lots of dark areas.

It really comes down to whether you want to see more detail from sitting up close and playing on a smaller screen or you want an overall better PQ in terms of color and black level. (Bearing you have a decent, newer TV).

*As for comfort, sitting back in a Lazy Boy > sitting at my desk. I sit at a desk 40+ hours a week.

User Info: thatfool12Gs

thatfool12Gs
3 years ago#4
Pixel density on a monitor is better as monitors are smaller than HDTV's. I prefer this as the image is sharper. I can only imagine the density on a monitor with more pixels, ie 1440p.

I use my 55" from time to time, but prefer the 23" monitor.
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
3 years ago#5
Everything is better
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#6
You'll be much closer to your monitor than your TV so the monitor will probably take up a larger portion of your FOV even though it is physically smaller.
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much better would gaming on a monitor be vs gaming on an HDTV?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived