This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC gaming noob

#1bman52480Posted 8/27/2013 12:28:45 PM
I own a Sony Viao with the following specs:

Intel Core i5-2450M @ 2.6/3.1 GHz
750 GB 5400rpm HDD
8 GB DDr3 SDRAM at 1333 MHZ

and

Stupid integrated Intel HD graphics.

I was only into old games when I purchased this about a year ago and was strapped for cash and didn't get a separate memory card. I can't afford a new machine right now and evidently it is virtualyl impossible to upgrade a laptop graphics card.

Of the above stuff, is there any reasonable way for me to upgrade gaming performance for less than, say, $200?

Basically I enjoyed the console version of Saints Row IV so much I want to play it, even on low setting, when I travel for work if possible. Saints Row III ran on my machine, but was marginal with some framerate issues.

Also, does ruinning a script that force quits windows when launching a game improve perfoamance? I had to do that long ago to run Master of Orion 2 on a newer PC but have no memory of how I did it.

Any advice is appreciated.
---
We don't have time for this, the Pasteur's core is going to breach!!
#2MahoganyTooth92Posted 8/27/2013 12:34:16 PM
Nope. Not any sort of reasonable way to upgrade apart from building a whole new machine.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#3Jprime666Posted 8/27/2013 12:34:44 PM
You typically don't upgrade laptops. If you even can upgrade yours, it would be outside my very limited area of expertise
---
How many emotions is people?
#4maybecallsPosted 8/27/2013 12:40:40 PM
I would seek out decent newer games that will run well enough on it. They might not be 'big name' games, but there are plenty of worthwhile ones out there.
#5bman52480(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 1:45:09 PM
Wuld putting in a HDD with higher RPM's inprove performance for maginal games? Or is that mostly determined by graphics card?
---
#6NicodimusPosted 8/27/2013 1:49:09 PM(edited)
It might slightly improve loading times, but not performance (frames per second.) Graphics card is what will improve performance, primarily.

---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#7bman52480(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 2:02:34 PM
Well thanks everyone. I enjoy playing on my laptop while the children monopolize the TV these days, guess I will have to stick with older stuff for now.
---
#8kobalobasileusPosted 8/27/2013 3:35:27 PM
A few years ago, there was a big fuss about the potential of external GPUs to improve laptop gaming performance. That concept seems to all but completely fallen off the Internet recently.
#9JKatarnPosted 8/27/2013 3:43:09 PM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
Nope. Not any sort of reasonable way to upgrade apart from building a whole new machine.

The only thing I could think of would be to change the timings on your RAM/buy faster/more RAM as that can improve performance quite a bit with integrated graphics, though even then, performance is going to be pretty marginal. If you want a moderate to maximal performance increase you're going to have to get a new laptop.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#10NingishzidaPosted 8/27/2013 3:47:43 PM
bman52480 posted...
Also, does ruinning a script that force quits windows when launching a game improve perfoamance? I had to do that long ago to run Master of Orion 2 on a newer PC but have no memory of how I did it.

that would have just been like a batchfile that quits explorer.exe

only games coded in assembly can run independent of an OS, as they speak directly to a chipset/processor