This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good Gaming Keyboard and Mouse

#21DrBeePhD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 6:23:36 PM
Anyone who is very happy with their current mouse and would look to recommend it?
#22TimePharaohPosted 8/28/2013 6:26:33 PM
The way to tell the quality of a gaming keyboard is to ensure that the LED's are red, and the ratio is at least 2 LED per key. Also have a bunch of **** sticking off of it so it looks like a transformer

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/strike7.htm
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#23DrBeePhD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 7:36:27 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
The way to tell the quality of a gaming keyboard is to ensure that the LED's are red, and the ratio is at least 2 LED per key. Also have a bunch of **** sticking off of it so it looks like a transformer

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/strike7.htm

Haha oh, Mad Catz, you never cease to amaze with overly ridiculous products.

So, I said before that I'd get the K65 but I did some research on its Cherry MX and Red seems too similar to rubber-dome for my tastes. I know Cherry MX Red is ideal for gaming, but the QuickFire Rapid uses Blue and it seems like no big deal, plus the Blue gives it nice tactile and audible feedback.

So does Red really give an advantage or is Blue just the same (with the added awesome tactile feedback)?
#24PraetorXynPosted 8/29/2013 6:17:57 AM
DrBeePhD posted...
Garquille14 posted...
Recommended mice with perfect sensors:

Zowie EC1 evo
Zowie EC2 evo
Zowie AM
Zowie FK
WMO
Logitech G400 / G400s
Kinzuadder
Razer Deathadder
Razer Abyssus
Roccat Savu
CM Storm Spawn

I appreciate the list but which do you think is the best?

I second this list. But as to your question, it depends on the shape you prefer. The G400S is a large mouse that suits a palm grip, and has the most buttons, etc. It's what I use. But I also have a Roccat Savu, which has nice features as well, but it's more of a claw grip mouse.

The Zowie FK is the newest and probably best of the Zowie's, and they all have an ambidextrous shape.

For keyboards, I recommend the Deck Legend.
http://www.deckkeyboards.com/
The only backlit keyboard in existence that the letters won't rub off of over time; they use a custom sublimination process to basically print white keytops with black ink everywhere the letter isn't, and heat the plastic so hot the ink seeps into the plastic itself so it will never go away. They use PBT plastic for the keycaps, and Costar stabilizers under the long keys.

It's expensive, but it's the nicest backlit you can buy.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#25DrBeePhD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 12:36:30 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
DrBeePhD posted...
Garquille14 posted...
Recommended mice with perfect sensors:

Zowie EC1 evo
Zowie EC2 evo
Zowie AM
Zowie FK
WMO
Logitech G400 / G400s
Kinzuadder
Razer Deathadder
Razer Abyssus
Roccat Savu
CM Storm Spawn

I appreciate the list but which do you think is the best?

I second this list. But as to your question, it depends on the shape you prefer. The G400S is a large mouse that suits a palm grip, and has the most buttons, etc. It's what I use. But I also have a Roccat Savu, which has nice features as well, but it's more of a claw grip mouse.

The Zowie FK is the newest and probably best of the Zowie's, and they all have an ambidextrous shape.

For keyboards, I recommend the Deck Legend.
http://www.deckkeyboards.com/
The only backlit keyboard in existence that the letters won't rub off of over time; they use a custom sublimination process to basically print white keytops with black ink everywhere the letter isn't, and heat the plastic so hot the ink seeps into the plastic itself so it will never go away. They use PBT plastic for the keycaps, and Costar stabilizers under the long keys.

It's expensive, but it's the nicest backlit you can buy.

Thanks for the advice on the mouses, but I'm not buying a keyboard that expensive. I just really need to know more about Cherry MX Blue and Red before I decide.
#26DrBeePhD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 3:53:32 AM
Preferably from someone who has has experience with the two.
#27_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/30/2013 4:36:55 AM(edited)
There is no such thing as best keyboard or best mouse.

Sure, there are certain requirements for a mouse or keyboard to be good. A mouse needs to have a decent max tracking speed, lift off distance, preferably ( for most people) no prediction or acceleration, responsive buttons. A keyboard needs to have at least 6-key roll over.

Beyond those things, it is all about picking something that fits your playstyle, preferences, habits and particular anatomy.

For example, personally I really prefer light ambidextrous mice, easy to press side-buttons (want at least two) and a good sensor. That is why I use the Zowie FK, which is a mouse I love (and not just because I own it, I have owned many mice and was never truly happy except when using the MS WMO and Zowie FK). However, it is a claw grip mouse that might not work for everyone. There are probably plenty of people that prefer a design like the G400(S), and that is perfectly fine.

The same thing holds for keyboards. Forget about the notion of a "gaming switch" and a "typing switch". That is all nonsense, even if there are small theoretical advantages of using one switch over another, the most important thing is still personal preference. That is why you see different type of Cherry MX switches and even rubber dome (until the sponsors replaced it) being used even at the highest level of competition in gaming.

Blues and Reds feel VERY different. Reds are linear and feel very light without any tactile feedback. For me personally , I feel they are too light. I have had a board with reds for over a year, and could not get used to it. I missed the tactility and found myself having too many accidental keypresses. Now that does not mean that everyone will experience this, but it just goes to show that even when it feels good (because I did like the overall feel) it still might not work out for you. Because I still wanted a light switch I went with browns instead, and have not looked back. It has both the light actuation of the reds, and the slight tactile feedback that helps me recognize actuation.

Other features you may want to consider are things like media keys, detachable USB cord, type of stabilizers, material of the keycaps (though easily replaceable if need be) and things like that. Just know that for gaming, there is no real advantage of having a mechanical keyboard . The main reason for going mechanical is still typing, and imho, the only way to truly appreciate it is when you touch type rather than "hunt and peck". I use a Filce Majestouch which is pretty basic but a good quality keyboard. Added PBT keycaps, a cool escape key and a custom sleeved cable just for fun.

---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H