This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to get into some serious PC gaming, without a large budget.

#1CobraKingKillerPosted 8/27/2013 2:09:36 PM
Consoles just aren't doing it for me anymore, I just feel bored and out of date within a year or two of picking one up. Anyways, I got a pretty decent laptop last year for school and whatnot, but I ended up getting addicted to League of Legends after a friend showed it to me. He showed me several games, but I can't run most of them, so I stick to league. Now I know the PS4 and XBOX are just around the corner, so I'm looking to spend less then what they are asking (400-500$) or I will probably end up getting one of them anyways.

I'm looking for a PC capable of running something like Chivalry, Skyrim, and GTA V when it comes out. I'm looking to spend no more than 500 dollars if at all possible.

I don't mind building my own, since I hear it's cheaper.

So basically I want to know what kind of build I should go with, also I kind of want one of those boxes that are glass and have LEDs. That's not a big deal, I just think they look cool, lol.

Thanks everyone.
---
A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
- Wiegraf Folles
#2daemon_danPosted 8/27/2013 2:17:34 PM
For 500? You could run that stuff. But if you actually want to keep up with next gen you should really spend more than that. The entry price may seem steep, but the money I've saved from random sales have saved me more on games than I paid for my rig. And I spent a LOT on my rig >.>

In any case, will you need a monitor? Keyboard? Mouse?
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."
#3TimePharaohPosted 8/27/2013 2:20:48 PM
Define run
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#4CobraKingKiller(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 2:21:37 PM
daemon_dan posted...
For 500? You could run that stuff. But if you actually want to keep up with next gen you should really spend more than that. The entry price may seem steep, but the money I've saved from random sales have saved me more on games than I paid for my rig. And I spent a LOT on my rig >.>

You're probably right. I just don't know if I can bring myself to spend more than 500 when I could just go get a PS4 like I had planned. How much do you think I should spend?

And yes, I will need a monitor and keyboard. But I am pretty sure I can find some for rather cheap, not too worried about that part.
---
A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
- Wiegraf Folles
#5CobraKingKiller(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 2:22:27 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Define run

Haha, well, I would like to be able to play the game and not be annoyed, if that makes sense. Just a smooth experience.
---
- Wiegraf Folles
#6LoshadtPosted 8/27/2013 2:23:41 PM
CobraKingKiller posted...
You're probably right. I just don't know if I can bring myself to spend more than 500 when I could just go get a PS4 like I had planned. How much do you think I should spend?

And yes, I will need a monitor and keyboard. But I am pretty sure I can find some for rather cheap, not too worried about that part.

A decent PC should cost you around 700-800$ if you're building from scratch, anything less than that and you're sacrificing SOMETHING important. Keep in mind that the cost of upgrading in the future is a lot less.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#7TimePharaohPosted 8/27/2013 2:24:17 PM
That's not very specific.

Do you want it 60fps? Do you literally just want to run the game, or do you want to max it? Low? High? Mods?

Because something that can run Skyrim at 30fps, max Skyrim at 60fps, or overly mod Skyrim are three entirely different things with massively different price points
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#8daemon_danPosted 8/27/2013 2:24:49 PM
CobraKingKiller posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Here's the thing. A computer does TONS more than a PS4 does. it's not JUST for gaming. You can record, stream, video edit, photo edit, and play games MUCH better than on console. 800 or a grand is about ideal to spend for building one from the ground up if you want to get the most out of it. I know that sounds like a lot. And if ALL you will do on it is game, then yeah, go get a PS4. Most people do a LOT more than that though, and I'm sure there's SOMETHING else you can do with a PC you build that tickles your fancy other than gaming. Hell, learn to code! Can't do that on a PS4 :)
---
#9TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 8/27/2013 2:26:22 PM
What TV do you use with your console? 1080p HDTV? You could save a lot of money by using an HDTV instead of a monitor.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#10daemon_danPosted 8/27/2013 2:27:35 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
What TV do you use with your console? 1080p HDTV? You could save a lot of money by using an HDTV instead of a monitor.

^ Good point. It's what I use :3
---