This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to get into some serious PC gaming, without a large budget.

#11CobraKingKiller(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 1:36:19 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
That's not very specific.

Do you want it 60fps? Do you literally just want to run the game, or do you want to max it? Low? High? Mods?

Because something that can run Skyrim at 30fps, max Skyrim at 60fps, or overly mod Skyrim are three entirely different things with massively different price points

Ideally I want it to be at least set to medium. I would imagine I would mod GTA and Skyrim a bit. Not overly, but some. 30 FPS would be fine, honestly.

TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
What TV do you use with your console? 1080p HDTV? You could save a lot of money by using an HDTV instead of a monitor.

It's 32 inches though, seems kind of big.

daemon_dan posted...
Here's the thing. A computer does TONS more than a PS4 does. it's not JUST for gaming. You can record, stream, video edit, photo edit, and play games MUCH better than on console. 800 or a grand is about ideal to spend for building one from the ground up if you want to get the most out of it. I know that sounds like a lot. And if ALL you will do on it is game, then yeah, go get a PS4. Most people do a LOT more than that though, and I'm sure there's SOMETHING else you can do with a PC you build that tickles your fancy other than gaming. Hell, learn to code! Can't do that on a PS4 :)

I see where you are coming from, but I'm just not sure if I can shell out that kind of cash. The downside to PCs is that it seems like you have to upgrade every year to not fall behind. If I buy a PS4, I'm set til the PS5, you know? And for using it for other things, I can just use my laptop to browse, watch videos and such. I don't know man.
---
A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
- Wiegraf Folles
#12LoshadtPosted 8/27/2013 1:39:45 PM
CobraKingKiller posted...
I see where you are coming from, but I'm just not sure if I can shell out that kind of cash. The downside to PCs is that it seems like you have to upgrade every year to not fall behind. If I buy a PS4, I'm set til the PS5, you know? And for using it for other things, I can just use my laptop to browse, watch videos and such. I don't know man.

You don't have to be on the bleeding edge of technology if you go with a PC. The GPU you bought a year ago doesn't magically become worse because something new came along. Many of us do upgrade on a regular base, but we choose to do so because we're hobbyists who enjoy doing so.

Basically, buy a good card now, and you won't have to upgrade for another 5-6 years.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#13SlaynPosted 8/27/2013 1:41:34 PM
Option A. Spend $500 on a crappy computer and $500 on a PS4.

Option B. Spend $1000 on a computer and have the best of both worlds.

Your move, hot shot.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#14daemon_danPosted 8/27/2013 1:42:37 PM
Loshadt posted...

You don't have to be on the bleeding edge of technology if you go with a PC. The GPU you bought a year ago doesn't magically become worse because something new came along. Many of us do upgrade on a regular base, but we choose to do so because we're hobbyists who enjoy doing so.

Basically, buy a good card now, and you won't have to upgrade for another 5-6 years.

Also, if you drop 800 or a grand, it will last at least three years before you need an upgrade. 5-6 if you don't mind playing low in a few years
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."
#15SteamsterPosted 8/27/2013 1:42:49 PM
I see where you are coming from, but I'm just not sure if I can shell out that kind of cash. The downside to PCs is that it seems like you have to upgrade every year to not fall behind. If I buy a PS4, I'm set til the PS5, you know?

Eh, That's a HUUUUUUUGE misconception.

I bought a $650 PC (with black friday/cyber monday sales) three years ago and I have no plans to upgrade soon. I still run most games I want on high settings.
#16CobraKingKiller(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 1:45:43 PM
Steamster posted...
Eh, That's a HUUUUUUUGE misconception.

I bought a $650 PC (with black friday/cyber monday sales) three years ago and I have no plans to upgrade soon. I still run most games I want on high settings.

It is? Well that's good news. However, what you just mentioned about Black Friday/Cyber Monday is a great point that I hadn't thought of. I could just wait til then.
---
A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
- Wiegraf Folles