This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrading my old low range stock pc?

#11PhilOnDezPosted 8/27/2013 4:10:49 PM
The motherboard is a no unless you want to reuse your processor which I wouldn't advise. The only parts worth saving would be the HDD, ODD, and maybe the ram if it's DDR3, which it probably is if you bought the PC in '09. You'll probably want to replace it eventually though. You may also be able to salvage the OS, Vista isn't ideal but it'll probably be alright if that's what you have, if you have 7 that's great.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#12fataliPosted 8/27/2013 4:11:24 PM
ph33r1es5 posted...
jamieyello posted...
Okay, could I scavange for extra parts from it though like the motherboard for a new pc?

Thanks btw

You won't be able to reuse the motherboard. CPUs now use different sockets so it will not work. The only parts that may be re-useable are probably just the optical drive and hard drives if they use SATA2 or SATA3 cables.

This.

The motherboard you have has a 775 socket, and DDR2 RAM, you can't use any of those with a new system, the only thing you could replace easily would be the GPU.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#13reincarnator07Posted 8/27/2013 4:18:20 PM
To upgrade those, you'd also have to get a new motherboard and new OS. At that point, you have the vast majority of a new PC.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#14jamieyello(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 4:39:58 PM
Ok, I guess I'll just have to go with overclocking until I can get a whole new setup. Thanks
---