This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Skullgirls - worth it if you're not a pervert?

#61UberLurkerPosted 8/30/2013 3:25:02 PM
lionheart5656 posted...
MusashiExtra posted...
Squigly and Peacock have modest chests. Big Band and Beowulf are male.

Also, Squigly does not exist.

Then I'm guessing you would assert that this is a very well done Photoshop, no?

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx4/game/skullgirls-squigly-screen.jpg

I'll vouch for Skullgirls quality, got it on the PS3 and liked it so much I got it on PC as well. Frankly I don't need any of the other characters, as a fan of old school golden age cartoons Peacock is all kinds of awesome!
#62lionheart5656Posted 8/30/2013 4:22:39 PM
UberLurker posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
MusashiExtra posted...

I'll vouch for Skullgirls quality, got it on the PS3 and liked it so much I got it on PC as well. Frankly I don't need any of the other characters, as a fan of old school golden age cartoons Peacock is all kinds of awesome!

Clearly it is a well done photoshop.

http://skullgirls.com/characters/valentine/

According to that, no such character exists.

Should we take the word of an anonymous man on the internet with nothing but a picture or the official website of the game?

I think the choice is obvious.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#63OmegaDL50Posted 8/30/2013 6:02:37 PM
People tend to think Skull Girls is popular strictly based on it's character designs and assume that is the only appeal to the game without evening playing it.

No, it became popular because the lead designer is Mike “Mike Z” Zaimont, who is one of best competitive MVC2 and Guilty Gear players in the world. The "competitive" FGC takes the game seriously because of the core mechanics and gameplay design of the game caters to the FGC by a fellow FGC member himself.

You can throw loli designs or questionable aesthetic choices on any given fighting game, it doesn't mean they well be taken seriously from a gameplay standpoint. I mean look at Arcana Heart or even some of the Touhou fighters. Even those are taken with somewhat more niche approach because they aren't targeting the competitive fighting game player demographic that Skull Girls was designed to cater to since it's initial development.

Also the character page on the official SG website is terribly out of date so doesn't prove much of a point to even use it. In fact only 8 of the 14 characters are only shown on the official website. Squigly, Robo-Fortune, Big Band, Beowulf, Bloody Marie, and Eliza aren't even listed on that page.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#64MusashiExtraPosted 8/30/2013 6:24:05 PM
For the record, AH2 was garbage but AH3 is actually a good fighter.
---
The shining light in the darkness...
Isn't it awful... to have wings... and not know how to use them... | Tega.
#65xanthan1Posted 8/30/2013 7:47:22 PM(edited)
lionheart5656 posted...
UberLurker posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
MusashiExtra posted...

Clearly it is a well done photoshop.

http://skullgirls.com/characters/valentine/

According to that, no such character exists.

Should we take the word of an anonymous man on the internet with nothing but a picture or the official website of the game?

I think the choice is obvious.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245174/?snr=1__4__103
Also the regular Skullgirls page on steam lists the following as coming in the following year.
Big Band
Eliza
Beowulf
Robo-Fortune

But it's nice to see you do minimal research and just assume your right when just googling Skullgirls and the characters name will pull up the numerous articles about them coming. Or checking the Steam page. Or checking ANYTHING but an outdated website.
#66MusashiExtraPosted 8/30/2013 8:09:12 PM
It's a lionheart post, though.
---
#67The_Pig_Hostage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 11:57:56 PM
Kilron posted...
I think it's great for a newer fighting game. The community does have a few bad apples, but it's actually really friendly to new players.

Part of the problem is, while the game does a great job teaching you the basics, it doesn't do so well at getting you ready for playing against actual people. Although they are adding a tutorial for online play as well as spectate mode in the future, so that may help to bridge the gap a bit.

Really though, the game itself? I love it, I'll gladly teach myself the hard way how to play.

I never really play fighting games online, cause I know I'll never be good enough. So if the tutorial teaches me how to play against the AI well enough, I'm set.
#68The_Pig_Hostage(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 8:24:06 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#69KilronPosted 9/2/2013 9:58:49 PM
The_Pig_Hostage posted...
Kilron posted...
I think it's great for a newer fighting game. The community does have a few bad apples, but it's actually really friendly to new players.

Part of the problem is, while the game does a great job teaching you the basics, it doesn't do so well at getting you ready for playing against actual people. Although they are adding a tutorial for online play as well as spectate mode in the future, so that may help to bridge the gap a bit.

Really though, the game itself? I love it, I'll gladly teach myself the hard way how to play.

I never really play fighting games online, cause I know I'll never be good enough. So if the tutorial teaches me how to play against the AI well enough, I'm set.

I would avoid quick matches unless a lot of people suddenly start playing ranked, but lobbies make it easy to meet people on your level, you can just list your lobby as a beginner or newbie friendly one. As with all fighting games though, the game is best enjoyed with friends that are about the same level of skill as you.
---
A duck walks into a doctor's office and says, "Quack!"
#70MusashiExtraPosted 9/2/2013 11:34:43 PM
Really, the learning curve is such that a hour or two of effort (being consistent with combos) will get you to where 90% of the players are. To take a game off of the last 10%, you'll gonna have to train for a few months.
---