This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for those whom are knowledgable with networking...

#1Mega__ManPosted 8/27/2013 4:51:59 PM
I bought a printer that has wifi capabilities. I set it up with my router and my mom's laptop, and everything works fine. Thing is, the printer is downstairs while my computer is upstairs. My computer is connected to the router and modem, so my computer is hooked up to the Internet via Ethernet.

Now my question is...how can I set up my computer to use the printer with it? I would probably have to install a wireless card or adapter of some sort to give my computer wireless capabilities...but is there a way I can set my computer and the printer together wirelessly, as my computer is directly connected to the router already?
---
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc76/heeheex2/th_MM-1.jpg
#2Davel23Posted 8/27/2013 7:06:57 PM
You should be able to access it, assuming your network is set up sanely. If you download and install the driver package from the manufacturer it will probably detect and map the printer automatically.
---
Your mom's box.
#3leon_trunksPosted 8/27/2013 7:08:00 PM
I have a printer with wifi. I just connect my printer to my home router to which my desktop is also connected with an ethernet cable and I'm good to go. You probably need the right drivers, re-install em, and see how it is.
---
Sketch Blog - paperuni.blogspot.com
#4ShubPosted 8/27/2013 7:10:04 PM
If your network is set up like any average home network these days, it doesn't matter that you're wired and the printer and everything else are wireless... it's all the same network, you should be able to access the printer just fine the way things are.
As said above, chances are you can just download the driver/software for your particular printer from its manufacturer and it will just discover the printer automagically. If not, then there are simple manual steps you can take.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5juscallmeehxPosted 8/27/2013 9:47:52 PM
You will probably have to install the drivers and set the IP address of the printer (so your computer will know where to find it).
---
PSN, XBL & Steam: juscallmeehx
i5-4670k CPU @ 3.4GHz | 2x8GB RAM | Evga GTX 560 ti | 2x128GB SSD & 1TB HD