This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hope you all purchased Lords of Shadow ( best ARPG ever made)

#31BcowmanPosted 8/27/2013 9:19:06 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Literally nothing you say has any relevance at all

To quote another ****poster, 'lel'
#32GwynsSonSolaire(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 9:30:38 PM
Bump
---
Proud Gamefaqs Shirt Owner
#33GwynsSonSolaire(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 12:37:58 AM
GwynsSonSolaire posted...
Bump

Bump
---
#34ElDudorinoPosted 8/28/2013 12:51:14 AM
I don't recall a single good thing about Lords of Shadow other than the graphics and the initial appeal of the fighting system.

The story is absolute trash. You're just killing bad guys because killing them all is supposed to bring back your dead lady, and then apparently you 'lose your humanity' in the process. And this is told to us by Patrick Stewart phoning in the absolute worst voice acting he's ever delivered. But I can hardly blame him, since the writing is so downright horrible. He has to constantly say crap like "Fight on, young Gabriel! For fight you must, if not for the woman you love, then to overcome the darkness that gnaws at your very SOUL!" Also, the delivery of world 'lore' from notes on dead crusaders was idiotic because a) after a certain point it made no sense to keep finding those bodies and b) half of what they said had no relevance or was just a lame attempt at working internet memes into the game.

The boss battles are mostly lame with the exception of the first boss, who was moderately fun but also the most 'standard' for the genre. The platforming is really bad and you actually run into invisible walls while jumping at a lot of points. The controls are screwed up and inconsistent to the point that a lot of people (myself included) couldn't figure out how to turn a freaking crank at one point in the game because the action button doesn't respond in the same way every time.

Level design is bad. For one thing, if you're going to pitch a game as being Castlevania, I expect it to be open for exploration. Beyond that, there's one level where you have to go to a handful of different areas and fight groups of monsters to proceed but the game screws up the camera and literally hides one of these areas from you on accident so many players bypass that area, however the poor design of the level then means that you then end up accessing areas you weren't supposed to be in until later and they're simply deserted, bereft of enemies and you cannot activate the puzzle elements in them because the game doesn't want you to have found that location yet. I thought my game was broken until I found a YouTube video specifically made to show people where the game wanted them to go and finish the level. So badly-designed. And even at their best, most levels are just a "Go left or go right" affair and you follow a straightforward path to your destination to perform more mundane tasks like chasing little gnomes inexplicably referred to as Chupacabras. The only remotely-interesting level was the music box but it was hampered by trial-and-error puzzle-solving.

As a Castlevania fan, I was hugely let down by this game. And as a fan of over-the-top action adventures (this is not an ARPG), I found the fighting engine decent enough but hampered by a lack of interesting battles and the fighting was too spread out to keep the game fun. I kinda liked the first two stages (about five minutes of gameplay), spent the next couple chapters wondering when the fun would begin, and ultimately forced myself to finish the game just to justify its purchase and gather enough information to write a scathing review.

tl;dr: Played it already, it was a waste of money then and it would still be a waste of money now.
#35GwynsSonSolaire(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 1:05:18 AM
ElDudorino posted...
I don't recall a single good thing about Lords of Shadow other than the graphics and the initial appeal of the fighting system.

The story is absolute trash. You're just killing bad guys because killing them all is supposed to bring back your dead lady, and then apparently you 'lose your humanity' in the process. And this is told to us by Patrick Stewart phoning in the absolute worst voice acting he's ever delivered. But I can hardly blame him, since the writing is so downright horrible. He has to constantly say crap like "Fight on, young Gabriel! For fight you must, if not for the woman you love, then to overcome the darkness that gnaws at your very SOUL!" Also, the delivery of world 'lore' from notes on dead crusaders was idiotic because a) after a certain point it made no sense to keep finding those bodies and b) half of what they said had no relevance or was just a lame attempt at working internet memes into the game.

The boss battles are mostly lame with the exception of the first boss, who was moderately fun but also the most 'standard' for the genre. The platforming is really bad and you actually run into invisible walls while jumping at a lot of points. The controls are screwed up and inconsistent to the point that a lot of people (myself included) couldn't figure out how to turn a freaking crank at one point in the game because the action button doesn't respond in the same way every time.

Level design is bad. For one thing, if you're going to pitch a game as being Castlevania, I expect it to be open for exploration. Beyond that, there's one level where you have to go to a handful of different areas and fight groups of monsters to proceed but the game screws up the camera and literally hides one of these areas from you on accident so many players bypass that area, however the poor design of the level then means that you then end up accessing areas you weren't supposed to be in until later and they're simply deserted, bereft of enemies and you cannot activate the puzzle elements in them because the game doesn't want you to have found that location yet. I thought my game was broken until I found a YouTube video specifically made to show people where the game wanted them to go and finish the level. So badly-designed. And even at their best, most levels are just a "Go left or go right" affair and you follow a straightforward path to your destination to perform more mundane tasks like chasing little gnomes inexplicably referred to as Chupacabras. The only remotely-interesting level was the music box but it was hampered by trial-and-error puzzle-solving.

As a Castlevania fan, I was hugely let down by this game. And as a fan of over-the-top action adventures (this is not an ARPG), I found the fighting engine decent enough but hampered by a lack of interesting battles and the fighting was too spread out to keep the game fun. I kinda liked the first two stages (about five minutes of gameplay), spent the next couple chapters wondering when the fun would begin, and ultimately forced myself to finish the game just to justify its purchase and gather enough information to write a scathing review.

tl;dr: Played it already, it was a waste of money then and it would still be a waste of money now.

you obviously havnt even played the game
---
#36DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/28/2013 1:08:29 AM
No. I played it, and it's terrible. I honestly don't even give a **** about the sequel.
Much rather they port over more of the 2D CV games. Those were far, far better than this trash.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#37GwynsSonSolaire(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 1:38:23 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
No. I played it, and it's terrible. I honestly don't even give a **** about the sequel.
Much rather they port over more of the 2D CV games. Those were far, far better than this trash.

i agree the 2d games are better.

HoD should come over.

This is by no means a bad game though, and the reboot story is excellent.
---
#38DownSouth113Posted 8/28/2013 2:36:36 AM
In my opinion this doesnt even deserve the castlevania name. I'll pass until a good one is released on pc. My friend was actually disgusted by this game and hes also a huge castlevania fan.
---
i5 3570k,Nvidia GTX 650 Ti, 8gb DDR3,ASRock Z77 Pro 4,Apevia Black/Blue X-Trooper, 675 Thermaltake,Windows 8
Steam- Perfectvillain
#39NicodimusPosted 8/28/2013 2:49:30 AM
How the hell is a GOW clone with a Castlevania skin the "best ARPG ever made?" It's just an action game, and not a very good one, honestly.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#40claytonbuckleyPosted 8/28/2013 2:57:33 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
GwynsSonSolaire topic

---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/