This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is the stealth genre dying?

#1galfasanta1111Posted 8/27/2013 6:11:13 PM
You had Hitman Absolution. Which didn't feel like a proper hitman IMO. Stealth wasn't required to beat missions.

I just saw a demo of Thief 4. You could fight multiple enemies at the same time and beat them. The level was linear. WTH??? The same happened with Splinter Cell Conviction, but thankfully Blacklist regained some ground.

Why is this happening though? I don't want Stealth games to be limited to side scrolling, 2d Indie developers.
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | GTX 580 | 8GB DDR3 | 875W
#2MonkeymagePosted 8/27/2013 6:14:20 PM(edited)
Play Dishonored. It's as close to a modern Thief as you can get.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#3Golden MavenPosted 8/27/2013 6:14:09 PM
My theory? Stealth requires patience and planning, which isn't "in" right now. People want quick and easy entertainment. That's why Hitman was so streamlined compared to the older ones.

That's just how it is. I'm guilty of that myself.
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 8/27/2013 6:17:56 PM(edited)
How is it dying? Most stealth games let you go full lethal in some form or another. Stealth games these days tend to have stealth as a primary option but not the only option. So long as they keep the stealth aspects solid and reward the player in some way for doing something in such a way, I couldn't care less about them offering action oriented players something as well.

edit: Playing dishonored with no powers, no kills, and no alerts was awesome. Hitman on purist was an intense stealth challenge. Mark of the Ninja while 2d has some of the best stealth gameplay out there. Hell even a shooter centric game like Payday 2 now offers rewarding stealth (rewarding due to challenge not actual rewards :/ ). MGS has always allowed for action. Splinter Cell has been offering action options for quite some time now.

Basically, just disagree completely. I'm sure even Thief 4 will allow for some satisfying stealth. It just has more options now.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5thatfool12GsPosted 8/27/2013 6:15:17 PM
Play Mark of the Ninja.

True stealth, don't be put off by the side scrolling approach.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#6Inferno700Posted 8/27/2013 6:15:50 PM
galfasanta1111 posted...
You had Hitman Absolution. Which didn't feel like a proper hitman IMO. Stealth wasn't required to beat missions.

I just saw a demo of Thief 4. You could fight multiple enemies at the same time and beat them. The level was linear. WTH??? The same happened with Splinter Cell Conviction, but thankfully Blacklist regained some ground.

Why is this happening though? I don't want Stealth games to be limited to side scrolling, 2d Indie developers.

I enjoyed the stealth aspects of Deus Ex HR although it made the boss fights horrible. I had to be cheap on 2 maybe even all 4 of them.

Dishonored was also good on how it used stealth.
---
NNID: Jesus-is-God 3DS FC: 3952-8112-9436
Steam ID: Inferno700
#7AsellusPosted 8/27/2013 6:16:32 PM
Dishonored was pretty good.

Not really. You could certainly go rambo in the older games, really the only difference is 47's new bullet time fast shot thing but it really doesn't feel out of place on him and opens up some fun things to do.

If anything I'd say Absolution's problem was that stealth felt forced too often due to the changes to the disguise system. That and too many missions based on "Sneak from one end of the level to the other" and not enough based on hits.

Why is this happening though?

I think there's a prevailing notion that stealth should be optional. It's fine to make a game where you can be stealthy but risky to make one where you *have* to be stealthy.
#8DerPancakePosted 8/27/2013 6:17:16 PM
You know games like Last of Us were supposed to play stealthy, I said **** it and just went Rambo because it gets boring to stealth.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#9TimePharaohPosted 8/27/2013 6:18:43 PM
Because the COD ADHD gen has taken over. Same reason every game in every genre is prettied up, dumbed down, and has the same mechanics in them.

DV8ingSources posted...
How is it dying?

Because every single stealth series has become shallow (and not stealth at all)?

Compare Deus Ex to Deus Ex HR. The entirety of HR consists of vents. That's it. Deus Ex you could approach anything from about a dozen different ways....and this was JUST the stealth ways.

Now look at Hitman and Hitman: A. Ignoring the vast amount of terrible mechanics added, and all of the stealth removed, even the story is a typical generic blockbuster action movie. Almost every single level had some sort of massive explosion/cover exposed running from something/helicopters/other terrible cliche.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#10DV8ingSourcesPosted 8/27/2013 6:23:42 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Almost every single level had some sort of massive explosion/cover exposed running from something/helicopters/other terrible cliche.

Oh please. Clearly you haven't put much effort into the game. You can stealth pretty much every single level. Sure you are being hunted in a lot of them, but you can still accomplish your task unseen.

Deus Ex HR was still satisfying to do stealthily. The first game was better sure but to what degree was the stealth that much better? Not a whole lot. The open levels were what really catered to its superiority more so than the mechanics themselves.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1