This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is the stealth genre dying?

#11Robtcee13Posted 8/27/2013 5:24:01 PM
DerPancake posted...
You know games like Last of Us were supposed to play stealthy, I said **** it and just went Rambo because it gets boring to stealth.

The Last of Us is such a third person shooter. It gives you less ammo, but it's still just a third person shooter. There was no indication of how visible you were at all. No feedback at all, aside from "Well, they started gunning you down, so go into third person shooter mode". There are stealth sections with enemies that kind of cater well to stealth, but your punishment isn't a difficult situation. Your punishment is instant death. Say what you will about the story of The Last of Us, but it really doesn't look fun to play at all. It's a shooter on a platform with intrinsically inaccurate controls that compensates by giving you less ammo to make you play... I guess tactically.
Whatever they were going for, it couldn't have been stealth. The game would have had stealth mechanics if that was the case.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#12nighthawk16Posted 8/27/2013 5:48:18 PM
Robtcee13 posted...
DerPancake posted...
You know games like Last of Us were supposed to play stealthy, I said **** it and just went Rambo because it gets boring to stealth.

The Last of Us is such a third person shooter. It gives you less ammo, but it's still just a third person shooter. There was no indication of how visible you were at all. No feedback at all, aside from "Well, they started gunning you down, so go into third person shooter mode". There are stealth sections with enemies that kind of cater well to stealth, but your punishment isn't a difficult situation. Your punishment is instant death. Say what you will about the story of The Last of Us, but it really doesn't look fun to play at all. It's a shooter on a platform with intrinsically inaccurate controls that compensates by giving you less ammo to make you play... I guess tactically.
Whatever they were going for, it couldn't have been stealth. The game would have had stealth mechanics if that was the case.

Have you played it? On it's hardest difficulty you are barely given any ammo or supplies whatsoever. Stealth and smart planning are the only way to survive, since melee combat always results in taking damage, and guns can only be used as a last resort.
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#13AnimorganimatePosted 8/27/2013 5:52:03 PM
thatfool12Gs posted...
Play Mark of the Ninja.

True stealth, don't be put off by the side scrolling approach.

I came in here to say this.

Mark of the Ninja proves modern stealth games are alive and well and can thrive if given the chance.

Mark of the Ninja II is one on my most anticipated games.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#14leon_trunksPosted 8/27/2013 6:04:22 PM
MGSV...open world stealth...360 degrees of freedom to approach objective...

Stealth genre dying, you say?
---
Sketch Blog - paperuni.blogspot.com
#15KeyeszxPosted 8/27/2013 6:13:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC22ZF21Llk
---
PSN/Gamertag:Keyeszx (Don't send blank friend invite)
Currently Playing:League of Legends, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade 2
#16biohazard1775Posted 8/27/2013 6:33:11 PM
Because many AAA devs are more concerned with money. It's up to the indie market and the Japanese to keep it alive.
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#17arleasPosted 8/27/2013 7:25:18 PM
The stealth genre is dying in the same way PC Gaming is dying...
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#18TimePharaohPosted 8/27/2013 7:31:00 PM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
Oh please. Clearly you haven't put much effort into the game. You can stealth pretty much every single level. Sure you are being hunted in a lot of them, but you can still accomplish your task unseen.

I don't recall saying you COULDN'T stealth every level? What I said was STORYWISE. Nearly every single level started with/ended with some terrible out of character exposure moment, and many of them featured said exposure right in the middle of the gameplay as well. It was terrible.

And yes, you could stealth everything, that's what made it worse. Hey, did that guy see you? Don't worry just hold down the instant stealth button and walk straight past him. But thanks to all the terrible mechanics, you don't have to put any effort whatsoever into the game so you're right, I didn't put that much effort in. Literally no incentive to even pretend it's a stealth game or take it slow. "Oh no I walked into a room full of guys, well luckily I can bullettime all of them before they even see me"

DV8ingSources posted...
Deus Ex HR was still satisfying to do stealthily. The first game was better sure but to what degree was the stealth that much better? Not a whole lot. The open levels were what really catered to its superiority more so than the mechanics themselves.

HR was not satisfying at all. And yes they were that much better in the original, did you ever play it?
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#19Knighted DragonPosted 8/27/2013 7:35:15 PM(edited)
I think the problem is that stealth games are just too easy. Most seem like they are hard and make you think you need a lot of skill to beat them but in reality most are just really easy even on the hardest difficulties. This is why most stealth games can just be played as a crappy FPS or hack and slash, you can just stand up and stop crouching and run past most enemies no problem. Some are more tedious than hard, but most are just a breeze that you can blow right through with barely any trouble even on your first time, like Dishonored
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#20DiviDudePosted 8/27/2013 7:51:53 PM(edited)
There are generally two types of stealth gameplay.

There's the sneak-up-behind-and-kill-baddies approach that you find in, say, Far Cry 3 or Splinter Cell: Conviction. You're supposed to remain unseen and basically clear the place out as elegantly as possible. There are still plenty of these made.

Then there's the best-to-just-avoid-baddies approach that the Thief games revolve around, that games like Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol, and the Metal Gear series are really good at. These do seem to be disappearing, largely in favor of the elegant-kill style above.

Dishonored I would say falls somewhere in between. I like both styles but yeah, when people say "stealth" they tend to implicitly mean non-violent stealth - that's why Conviction for instance is seen as not a "real" stealth game, even though it certainly is. I also tend to prefer type 2.