This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is the stealth genre dying?

#31jake-sfPosted 8/27/2013 10:09:39 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...

It's a shame that these companies don't realize

Uh? They just don't care.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#32JBirdMusicLoverPosted 8/27/2013 10:12:59 PM
Monkeymage posted...
Play Dishonored. It's as close to a modern Thief as you can get.

What about the modern remake of Thief?
#33AllmatteredPosted 8/27/2013 10:19:52 PM
Mackorov posted...
Wow does no one really seem to realize this yet?
You know why recent stealth games are no longer much about stealth? Because developers want to appeal to BOTH sides of gamers instead of just appealing to the niche group of gamers that enjoy playing stealth. This is done to make up for the big expenses of games these days. Ubisoft is by far the one developer that I truly blame for this.

Why do you think the latest Rainbow Six games (Vegas 1 & 2) lack so much tactical elements of its predecessors? The trend was already rather apparent in Lockdown when they removed the awesome tactical map planning and removed recoil etc. Same thing can be observed with Ubi's other title, Splinter Cell. I thought they had pretty much crossed the line with Conviction's Mark and execute feature and no ability to carry and hide bodies. Seriously, kill 1 guy hands-on and be able to instant headshot 5 other baddies with just a push of the button? The game just got ridiculously easy because of that.

It's not just stealth genre that is dying, other niche ones like tactical shooters are due to attempt by game companies to have a game that appeases a huge mass of gamers with different interests. You think Conviction would have sold so many copies if not for it's stupid dumbed down stealth gameplay mechanics?

THIS is exactly why.

Fou Lu posted...
Because it was never fun to begin with?

Go back to playing COD, boy
#34SythisTaruPosted 8/27/2013 10:22:21 PM
I hate stealth games. Breaks the immersion.
#35SignusZerielPosted 8/27/2013 10:40:53 PM
SythisTaru posted...
I hate stealth games. Breaks the immersion.

>Being a thief in Thief
>Being stealthy

Yeah, TOTALLY breaks the immersion when I'm being stealthy as a THIEF.

This is why people need to stop using the word "immersion" as if they knew what it meant.
---
GameFak - Power to the trolls, the asses, and the posers.
#36Kakarot0598Posted 8/27/2013 10:45:01 PM
The closest thing to stealth games I've played recently are the Batman games. This is especially true of Arkham Asylum. Basically, you learn how to move without being seen and quietly take out each enemy one by one. You CAN try to fight them head on, but a single gun will kill you in seconds, even with max health.

I'm sure other games like MGS use stealth a lot more, but I've never had an interest in them, except for the classic thief games.
#37ajko000Posted 8/27/2013 10:54:41 PM
Personally I think the genre is stupid. It's for those hardcore frat dudebros that want to pretend to be stealthy because in life they are too fat or too stupid to do otherwise.

On that note, it works the other way too. I think the genre is too niche and too... Bah I can't think of the word... It's like.... UHG!

It's the same reason people don't buy a game just to play as a cleric/priest.
#38The_Pig_HostagePosted 8/27/2013 11:00:47 PM
Animorganimate posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
Play Mark of the Ninja.

True stealth, don't be put off by the side scrolling approach.

I came in here to say this.

Mark of the Ninja proves modern stealth games are alive and well and can thrive if given the chance.

Mark of the Ninja II is one on my most anticipated games.

I've always loved stealth games, but I just couldn't get into Mark of the Ninja. I gave up after a few levels. It was just too dull.
#39Chaos_MissilePosted 8/27/2013 11:07:25 PM
Mackorov posted...
Wow does no one really seem to realize this yet?
You know why recent stealth games are no longer much about stealth? Because developers want to appeal to BOTH sides of gamers instead of just appealing to the niche group of gamers that enjoy playing stealth. This is done to make up for the big expenses of games these days. Ubisoft is by far the one developer that I truly blame for this.

Why do you think the latest Rainbow Six games (Vegas 1 & 2) lack so much tactical elements of its predecessors? The trend was already rather apparent in Lockdown when they removed the awesome tactical map planning and removed recoil etc. Same thing can be observed with Ubi's other title, Splinter Cell. I thought they had pretty much crossed the line with Conviction's Mark and execute feature and no ability to carry and hide bodies. Seriously, kill 1 guy hands-on and be able to instant headshot 5 other baddies with just a push of the button? The game just got ridiculously easy because of that.

It's not just stealth genre that is dying, other niche ones like tactical shooters are due to attempt by game companies to have a game that appeases a huge mass of gamers with different interests. You think Conviction would have sold so many copies if not for it's stupid dumbed down stealth gameplay mechanics?

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier?
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#40DredjPosted 8/27/2013 11:19:47 PM
Games centered around Stealth never really took off in the first place. All you had was MGS until Splinter Cell.