This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is the stealth genre dying?

#41thatfool12GsPosted 8/27/2013 11:50:33 PM
Am I the only person who would love to see a next gen Tenchu??

I only ask that competent Asians run a QA check on it before it ships because in retrospect it is amazing that the game even shipped..
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#42akuma634Posted 8/28/2013 12:00:05 AM
galfasanta1111 posted...
You had Hitman Absolution. Which didn't feel like a proper hitman IMO. Stealth wasn't required to beat missions.

That's the entire Hitman series. I've been playing since the original, which even had a big Scarface ending style boss fight. Hitman was about choice, you could go in like Rambo which grants you no rewards and the silent assassin method is very hard, only for the Hitman experts to attempt and it was the most rewarding path.

My problem with stealth games is that they're f***ing boring. Crouch in a shadow and snail crawl behind an enemy until you can strike or they just turn around and gang f*** you while your master assassin has no hand to hand combat training. Fishing simulations are more fun then that. There's a good reason why it's more fun to play as Batman where you're the master of stealth but you can beat a motherf***er senseless because Batman isn't a p****. Guns are your biggest threat, you can managed to beat up a guy with a gun but at best you have maybe one or two hits left on your meter so you better be damn careful in the next situation. For me that's what made stealth tolerable, you feel like the aggressor and you're preying on the fears of these thugs as opposed to being completely s*** in any situation other then crouching behind somebody. It's like who trains a ninja everything except for how to defend yourself in a combat situation? That isn't realistic at all.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#43Flaktrooper123Posted 8/28/2013 12:02:28 AM
I think there is another kind of stealth games people forgot. Remember Commandos series
#44RequiemPosted 8/28/2013 12:08:29 AM
A company spends tens of millions of dollar during development to provide a game with top notch graphics.

A customer spends $400~500 console or $1000~2000 on PC to play the said game with every graphical option on high.

95% of the game is spent in complete dark hiding the said graphics.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#45akuma634Posted 8/28/2013 12:08:42 AM
I don't get The Last Of Us thing, different gamers have different skills. For me I played it on the easiest setting and got killed a lot. I tried to use more stealth because of the limited ammo but so often I kept getting spotted by humans or the recently infected that can see you and alert clickers. Even going very aggressive and killing everyone was tough, I died a ton of times just to get to the end of the game. I grew up with the NES but I'm not some internet tough guy who plays everything on impossible difficulty, I play games to have fun. But TLOS was a great game, stealth felt much more like the way to go over shooting everything.

Mark Of The Ninja was great, aside from the Thief games and few other exceptions, I haven't had much fun with pure stealth games. In a lot of ways, it's easy to think of each level as a puzzle game. Every enemy and trap works like a puzzle and you have to find the smartest way to solve that puzzle and of course it gets tougher with more factors like guard dogs that sniff you out, lasers that alert everything to your presence, armored guards, and they mix it up more and more so you have to be very crafty. Plus the faster paced gameplay really made it so much fun to play.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#46thebladeofwoePosted 8/28/2013 12:14:50 AM
I brought splinter cell blacklist for release...

By far the most amazing stealth game. Perfectionist mode and no kills playthrough.... Awesome and the multiplayer is the greatest.
---
A10 ('@2.3) HD 7600G & HD 7670M 8gb ram W8.
#47SlaynPosted 8/28/2013 12:32:04 AM
I am most of the way through Alpha Protocol, doing a no kill stealth run. Very fun. I recommend the game, the story and gameplay are good.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#48Psalm51Posted 8/28/2013 12:40:29 AM
This is an interesting topic. One of my happy gaming memories was of beating Deus Ex using the stealth route. I think that I "killed" less than five in-game humans and I was truly impressed with how that game handled stealth. I would love to play that game again...and System Shock 2, for that matter. Can that game be completed using stealth? Given that some of the stealth games are well old now, how practical is it to try playing them again after all those years? Also, would it spoil the memory of them...trying and possibly failing to beat them...due to lack of patience in the present? I wonder...
---
King David, my hero.
#49odcrl001Posted 8/28/2013 1:08:46 AM
I can only speak for myself.

I find the Stealth genre to nerve wracking. I suffer from anxiety I guess that doesn't help.
Though I enjoyed the casual stealth of MSG 1-3 (didn't play) and wish there were more games with that type of stealth.
#50BasilVZeroPosted 8/28/2013 1:12:11 AM
Because it is becoming more open world than actual stealth.
---
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BasilZero