This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is the stealth genre dying?

#51_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/28/2013 12:13:03 AM
For me personally, one reason why so many stealth games are unappealing is because of their "trial and error" type gameplay. Also just generally, I have more fun engaging in fights than I have avoiding them UNLESS the whole style and ambiance in the game is done in a way that the stealth itself is thrilling and fun, and the stealth mechanics actually provide interesting gameplay itself.

I am pretty much unwilling to play through an entire game where the gameplay revolves around avoiding standing in the line of sight of some patrolling enemy guard. That is just not fun to me, like at all.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#52happyscrub1Posted 8/28/2013 12:17:38 AM
Plenty of stealth in MMOs. Go to a pvp server and camp towns. I'll hate you for it, but have fun.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#53murderinthedarkPosted 8/28/2013 12:22:03 AM
Who the frick wants to have fun when you can play Call of Boom Boom.

Noobs.
#54Mega_SkrullPosted 8/28/2013 12:25:55 AM
Animorganimate posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
Play Mark of the Ninja.

True stealth, don't be put off by the side scrolling approach.

I came in here to say this.

Mark of the Ninja proves modern stealth games are alive and well and can thrive if given the chance.

Mark of the Ninja II is one on my most anticipated games.

Eff you good sir, you made me excited, but google told me there's no Mark of the Ninja 2 coming out. Only that special edition dlc. Just kidding on the eff you part
---
http://goo.gl/Wg6w0 "=[_]=! Bump some other boobs, will ya?!" - p
"That sounds so perverted, dude. ._." - M
#55zoranbiocicPosted 8/28/2013 1:00:00 AM
its not dying, suggest to check out Monnaco, pretty fun stealth/heist game for 360 and steam
#56claytonbuckleyPosted 8/28/2013 1:01:36 AM
A.D.D. generation. kids these days have no patience for a stealth game.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
#57SnipeStarPosted 8/28/2013 2:07:20 AM(edited)
Golden Maven posted...
My theory? Stealth requires patience and planning, which isn't "in" right now. People want quick and easy entertainment.

this is pretty accurate actually

Inferno700 posted...
I enjoyed the stealth aspects of Deus Ex HR although it made the boss fights horrible. I had to be cheap on 2 maybe even all 4 of them.

dat typhoon lol

leon_trunks posted...
MGSV...open world stealth...360 degrees of freedom to approach objective...

Stealth genre dying, you say?

.... doesn't every stealth game claim that before it's released >_>
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#58DiviDudePosted 8/28/2013 5:58:38 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
For me personally, one reason why so many stealth games are unappealing is because of their "trial and error" type gameplay.

Good stealth games aren't really trial and error at all. The earlier Hitman games sure are - which is why I don't like them at all - but the Thief series for instance has very little trial and error. Although I find this has a lot to do with shoddy AI. Dishonored's AI gave me a lot of random ass, inexplicable problems that required trial and error here and there. For example, I'm pretty sure AI aren't supposed to be able to see me through walls... trying to find a wall the AI couldn't see through took some quicksave scrubbing (this was fairly rare, however.)
#59SinisterSlayPosted 8/28/2013 6:09:47 AM
Playing Dishonored now.
So far I wish it had a darkness crystal like Thief did.

Also I don't care for how people don't die in 1 hit if they are surprised when using the crossbow. The crossbow seems useless except for sleeping darts.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#60DiviDudePosted 8/28/2013 6:24:06 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Playing Dishonored now.
So far I wish it had a darkness crystal like Thief did.

Also I don't care for how people don't die in 1 hit if they are surprised when using the crossbow. The crossbow seems useless except for sleeping darts.

I agree, I was playing the DLC yesterday and a surprise dart to the face only managed to alert everyone to my presence. Which is kinda the opposite of what a stealth weapon is supposed to do. And I got annoyed being spotted in what I thought were dark shadows but was never quite sure of because, yeah, no darkness meter.